lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Jummygunz3
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 loose steering

I have a 97 Yamaha g16 and the steering has a lot of play in it. It's really sloppy when driving. I was told it's probably the steering box. I checked the tie rods and idler arm and they seem fine. Would it just be the pitman arm? Or does the whole steering box wear and have to be replaced? I never took this apart so any info would be great. Thanks
Jummygunz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G16 loose steering

Jack front end up loosen jam nut 11 and screw in 10 until there is a slight drag when turning steering wheel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170930-182717.jpg (42.5 KB, 0 views)
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Jack front end up loosen jam nut 11 and screw in 10 until there is a slight drag when turning steering wheel
Yep. And you can remove the cover--4 bolts--and pack the box with grease.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
Jummygunz3
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info, I will try that and see what happens

Last edited by Jummygunz3; 10-01-2017 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Wrong word
Jummygunz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Buggywhip
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have the same "play" on my wife's G16. The shaft (#2 in the above schematic) moves up and down as you steer. It appears that the above fixes may at least help the problem. I'll have to wait til spring to try it, the Buggywhip is in storage. Thank you buggies gone wild.
Buggywhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

A couple of points from the few of those I've rebuilt:
The wear is often uneven. Since most of the movement is in small adjustments just off of center, those parts tend to wear most just around center. When you tighten the adjuster check the full range of motion. You'll have to compromise the on center tightness against the binding further off center.
The guts are still available, but took long wait time on special order even from major suppliers. The worm gear one piece with the steering shaft up to the steering wheel. The "rollers" (really just ball ends" are one piece with the pitman shaft. There are bearings above and below the worm gear part of the steering shaft.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
expo
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Great advice!! I read this thread, symptom and repair and this was what was wrong with my G2. I had it fixed in 20 minutes and it steers like new. For the curious, my screw had to go in 3/4 turn to make it right.
expo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
Buggywhip
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I ended up pulling the buggy out of storage to have it wrapped for my wife's birthday last week. I looked into the steering this morning. I packed the box with grease and screwed the adjuster screw in to a slight drag. It felt a lot better until you tried to turn the wheel all the way to the right. The drag started to get worse and then it felt like the worm gear jumped a tooth or something. the wheels and steering wheel returned to center, so I don't think it could have jumped a tooth. Probably going to have to take it apart.
Buggywhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha