lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2019, 06:08 AM   #21
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Fuel Issue...

Thanks for the news about the notifications.

I looked at a few things last night.
The feed line in the tank was threaded, plastic fitting (shut off valve) with pipe threads into the plastic tank.
Took that out and the tube looked OK.
I did clean it off and put a small drop of crazy glue on it to secure it.
Checked the pulse line from crankcase.
That looked good.
No oil or anything.
Manually blew and sucked on that thinking I would see some fuel flow.
Seemed like all the air just went in and out of the little mineral filter/diffuser on the face of the pump.
No matter how fast, slow, hard, or lightly I tried, I couldn't get the pump to draw fuel.
Plan is to take it apart and see what is inside.
Guessing the diaphragm isn't what it is supposed to be after seeing what I did.
Going to order another new one today.
But thinking between my old one that had the broken connection (the one I drilled out and used a roll pin temporarily on) and this one I can make one good one out of two bad to use until replacement arrives....or at least that is "the plan for now".
rschap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #22
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't think you could manually pulse that line fast enough to see any movement. Think about it: vacuum as the piston moves up, pressure as the piston moves down = 200 "changes" for each revolution of the engine = 500 rpm low speed running works out to 1000 pulses per minute. And the fuel flow is just a trickle at that.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #23
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

Appreciate that.
Somehow still only getting fuel moved some of the time, not others.
Guess I will still get another pump and crack open the ones I have to double check.
Sounds like rotten weather headed to my area for the weekend, so I should be able to spend some time in the garage.
I did put the cart up on jack stands a couple weeks ago and run it.
May try that again if I don't find any pump issues and try to let it run and watch the filters...

THANKS for the help(s) and advice(s)
:)
Old 04-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #24
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Doesn't your cart have a maintenance mode like all the others? No need to put it up on jackstands to run the engine,
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #25
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

What is this maintenance mode you speak of?
I didn't know that there was such a thing.
If there is a way to run the motor and throttle without having it move, that would be great.
Would love to find out more ! ! !
Old 04-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #26
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

Quick search showed me this in another thread.
Will have to see if I can use this "trick"
THANKS

Its been posted before and with pics, but it's on the back side of the f/r shifter in the motor area, you'll see a yellow picethat has a spring on it. Pull it out with two fingers and turn it half way around, now your shifter will have to be in netural for your cart to start and will not start in forward or reverse, giving you maintenance mode, and just pull yellow pice back out and turn back around to be back to regular operation.

Google showed this too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7upWDearF0

Now I need a throttle setting like cruise control to hold a few rpms...
Any thing I am not aware of there?

Guessing I can do something with the idle adjust to let it run a little over idle speed and watch the fuel filters.

I did pull my "new" fuel pump apart yesterday.
There was a real small piece of extra gasket material laying across the diaphragm area leading into one of the screw holes.
Really seemed thin enough and didn't seem to leak so not sure if an issue or not.
Removed that and reassembled reinstalled since I did not see anything that looked bad.
Took my old original one apart too.
Didn't see much besides a very small amount of grease that was used when I drilled out the broken vacuum/pulse port to install my temporary roll pin hose connection.
I didn't want drill chips getting in pump or the vacuum/pulse hose (back to crankcase) so I really added a lot of grease to hold the chips.
Looked like chips stayed out but there was just a film of grease in there.
A little different materials for diaphragm compared to new.
Could tell it was older and aged.
Rubber diaphragm and gaskets had taken a "set" and looked older as I would expect.
Thought I might make one pump out of pieces of the old and new but didn't see any reason to use parts from the old.
Actually have another new one that should be delivered in a few days.
Replaced a couple "spring" clamps with worm gear type on the fuel and vac/pulse lines.
Looks like a nicer than day the forecast predicted today.
May try out the maintenance mode and see what I get later on. THANKS again for that:)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #27
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the pump is dry you may not get fuel flow. It may help to manually prime the pump with a little fuel in a bottle with a nipple cap. Squirt some fuel into the pump and hoses.

With the fuel line removed from the carb and stuck in a bottle, crank the engine over for about 15-20 seconds and see if fuel starts to pump into the filters and come through the lines. It can take a bit of cranking to get the filters full.
If you get good fuel flow with the line disconnected, then look to the carb.

The jet pickup hole in the carb is not at the lowest point in the bowl, so even if you run the carb “dry” there is still some fuel in the bottom of the bowl and that can cause problems even if it’s treated fuel. There is a drain screw on the side of the carb bowl for use to drain the bowl completely. As long as the bowl hasn’t been removed at some point and installed incorrectly, the screw should be pointed towards the front of the cart and easily accessible.

A stuck float needle or clogged inlet port will prevent fuel flow. A blocked bowl vent or vent hose can also prevent flow by air locking the carb.
Assuming you have good fuel flow through the lines and filters (with the hose removed from the carb), then it’s time to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning inside.
As long as you’re careful when removing it you should not need any gaskets. If any gasket is stuck to the carb, leave it on there.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #28
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

The maintenance mode switch made checking this out MUCH easier ! ! !
Thanks for tipping me off to that.
I ran it for 5-10 minutes like that yesterday.
Fuel filters had at least some fuel going through them the whole time.
Not sure if my removing the extra piece of gasket material out of the fuel pump helped or if the pump is doing all it is supposed to or not really.
The amount of fuel that I could see in the filters varied some.
Seemed like more with increase in rpms.
Almost scared to take off around the neighborhood and getting stranded...
Daughter says that she thinks it has issue when going up and/or down hills.
Being intermittent certainly doesn't help me figure it out.
Another new fuel pump should arrive in a day or two.
Going to swap those and see if any different or better.

Appreciate the carb tips, but hoping not to have to mess with that.
When it gets gas it runs and runs well.
Every time it has trouble you can see that the fuel filters are empty.
Or at least that is how it seems to me.
Spits and sputters for a little, starts running better, and you can then see fuel in the filters.
That has me focusing on the pump and lines to and from it.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #29
mrlmd
Gone Wild

You also can have some junk/debris or water in the fuel tank interfering with the pickup of fuel from the tank. Take a look in there with a good flashlight and see what's lurking at the bottom of the tank. Suck some out with a siphon into a jar and let it sit and see if there's any water in there.
Normally those filters are not full and the amount of fuel in them may vary.but if they get totally empty you may be having a fuel delivery problem.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:27 AM   #30
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

Installed another new fuel pump this weekend.
Checked everything over again too.
Checked and tightened all the new clamps on fuels lines and pulled the pick up tube out of tank again too.
Everything looked good.
Ran it quite a bit in maintenance mode just sitting in garage.
Filters did vary with amount of gas that would be in them.
Never got very full, but didn't have any issues running.
It kept pumping and even though at some rpms only seemed like a trickle, it didn't slow, bog, or stall.
Think next step is test drives around the neighborhood.
Fingers crossed that it is going to be OK.

Another big THANKS to everyone for your help !!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car