lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
Bbart18199
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 cc fe290 turn over won't start

Got an old 99 cart.. changed the carb, spark plug, air filter, coil, gas lines, fuel pump, oil change.... but the battery is dead. But i figured i could jump it off with a car like i do with riding lawn mower's (i want to see if it runs before spending more money on it). It turns over good but doesn't do anything else. I take the air hose off and it revs like it is going to start but then dies out and keeps turning over. I have spark... tried 2 spark plugs, it is getting fuel....i have even tried starting fuel in the spark plug hole. I have 150 compression. Kinda stumped on this as to why it isnt starting. Got the basic 3 air, spark, fuel.... any ideas?
Bbart18199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 99 cc fe290 turn over won't start

What color is the spark? Is it yellow, white, or blue? Is it consistently firing every time the motor turns over or sporadic? What happens if you spray a little carb cleaner or starting fluid in the carb while you're cranking it? What spark plug is in it?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Bbart18199
Not Yet Wild

Spark looks purple. New plug is BPR5ES. I don't know what the old one is but it sparks the same.. looks purple. It sparks every time ther motor turns. When spraying during fluid in while turning over ir doors the same thing... revs but goes back to turning over instantly.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That all sounds good like it should.

Next step would be to pull the valve cover off and make sure the valves are moving. The FE motors have a plastic gear on the camshaft, and while not "super common" it's not exactly uncommon either, for them to shear the rivets off of the gear for the camshaft. If this is the case the valves won't be moving when the engine is turning.

If the valves are moving, make sure they are adjusted properly. Spec is .005" on both the intake and exhaust valve.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
Bbart18199
Not Yet Wild

I had to go buy the shim to reset the valves. But reset those and also cleared out the exhaust... as some bugs had made a mud nest in the tailpipe. Also got a new battery. This is about as close as i can get it running... revs and stops...i have it in service mode... but when i put it back to regular mode it isn't enough to even move the cart. Also as you can see in the video... it only "runs" like this when the intake is off... when i hook the air intake back up it dies. Already made sure there was no air blockage in that.

It won't let me put a link in to my video because I'm a new user. It's on YouTube under user name bbart18199
Old 07-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

XI dont know what you're referring to by valve shims... theres no shims. Just a 10mm lock nut and an adjuster screw. See this thread, I wrote this about a yamaha but the kawi is the same. Both should be set to .005 http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...djustment.html

Also, check the air intake for clogs. It doesnt just run to the airbox. The hole in the bottom of the airbox runs to a duct that runs all the way under the cart, up the cowl "firewall" and the actual opening where the air enters the engine is just underneath the drivers side glove box. Lot of room for mud dauber nests...
Old 07-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
Bbart18199
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
XI dont know what you're referring to by valve shims... theres no shims. Just a 10mm lock nut and an adjuster screw. See this thread, I wrote this about a yamaha but the kawi is the same. Both should be set to .005 http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...djustment.html

Also, check the air intake for clogs. It doesnt just run to the airbox. The hole in the bottom of the airbox runs to a duct that runs all the way under the cart, up the cowl "firewall" and the actual opening where the air enters the engine is just underneath the drivers side glove box. Lot of room for mud dauber nests...

I guess i was calling the feeler gauge shims. I did that... pr a vacuum to one end of the intake and felt good suction through the air intake. Doing the same thing add before..... not wanting to start... revs.. gets a pop and dies back to the starter. Any way to take off any kill switches?? I just feel like something is not letting it start
Old 07-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it was a kill switch, you wouldn't be getting spark, but you can try. Below the valve cover on the front if the motor, is a little box. This is the rev limiter. Theres a brown wire with a ring terminal right next to it. Disconnect this ring terminal and insulate so it cant touch metal and try. If it runs, rev limiter is bad. If no change then disconnect the bullet connector from the wire right next to it. This will bypass the kill switches. If still no change then hook it all back up.

Also try and partially block the inlet to the carb with your hand. Like half way, give or take. May have to play with it some. If you can get it to run like that then you either have a carb or an air intake problem or restriction.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #9
aghead
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Fresh gasoline?
aghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

You didn't mention if the plug was wet when you took it out after trying to start it. If it's wet, you may have a flooding problem if you are getting spark all the time. Pinch off the fuel supply line after it tries to start and then quits. remove the air intake hose, (if you have fuel running out you have a flooding problem), try starting again if it starts and runs for a few seconds and then shuts down, again flooding problem. On the other hand if you are dry on the plug and intake, you may have a fuel pump, filter or carb issue. Just because you replaced the carb and pump (and filter) doesn't mean they are working as they should. lots of DOA parts out there.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car