lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default CC Precedent Jake's 6" A-arm Lift Brake Question

Hello everyone, I am a new member of the forum and have have been reading up on old and new posts since picking up an '08 CC Precedent Gas cart in early March. It was in bone stock condition when purchased. I have added a 6" A-arm lift kit by Steeleng which appears be extremely close to a Jake's 6" A-Arm kit. Also have 23"x10.50R12 tires installed.

My question is in regard to upgrading the brakes. I'd like to put a Jake's hyd. disc front brake kit on to assist with stopping and holding the cart when parked.

Would anyone that has a Jake's 6" CCP A-arm lift mind taking a measurement for me? I believe that I might be able to swap out the spindles on my cart with the ones that are included with the Jake's brake kit that have the mounting brackets for the brake calipers.

The measurement I'm hoping someone can provide is in the pic- I'm getting between 9.88" & 10" on the spindle length currently from face-to-face on the heim joints. Thanks, young-pup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (195.4 KB, 0 views)
young_pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: CC Precedent Jake's 6" A-arm Lift Brake Question

Anyone? I'm tempted to just order a kit and see if it fits.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I decided instead of adding the hydraulic disc front kit for the time being I would start with upgrading the rear drum brakes with the Ausco mechanical disc kit. So I picked up a set this week and plan to install before this weekend.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’ve been thinking of doing this myself. Keep us posted. Take pics.
ReelTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelTight View Post
I’ve been thinking of doing this myself. Keep us posted. Take pics.
Alright, ReelTight, here we go-

The brake kit came in Wednesday evening.

I decided to add heavy duty springs in the rear at the same time since I'd have the whole thing apart.

Also picked up a brake cable kit, but more on that later.

Last edited by young_pup; 05-22-2020 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Decreased Image Size
Old 05-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The instructions are pretty good. Th biggest issues I had was removing the internal ring clips on the axles and pulling the DS brake cable out from the frame cross member.

After chocking the front wheels and placing jack stands under the frame and my rolling jack under the differential, I removed the rear wheels and hub drums.

My clip ring pliers weren't really up for the task of removing the internal rings that retain the axles, so the best I could do with them was get one side lifted out of the groove and pry them the rest of the way out. Made the mistake of having one side slightly lower than the other when I pulled one axle and promptly leaked a bunch of gear oil out of the tube.

Both axles needed a good wipe down.

Then cleaned the bearing races on the axle tubes themselves.

After this the axles were replaced and the snap rings reinstalled.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When I lifted my cart the DS brake cable was a little snug, but didn't pull so I kept it. The Ausco brake kit puts the cable clip mount further away from the where the OEM position was so I had to run out and pick up a PS brake cable today at my local GC dealer b/c it's longer.

Turns out it's quite a bit longer and I had to spend some time getting it routed in what seemed the most effective and least binding way.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I took a detour at this point to install both HD leaf springs. I also upgraded some of the hardware that had come with the lift kit I had installed last month.

Part of the install process is chopping off the OEM brake cable clip mount tab.

Once the springs were installed and everything on the axle / spring connections was tight again, I added the Ausco brake mount plates. These use the same hardware removed from the OEM brake ASM plates.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Once the mounts are installed, you attach the actual brake caliper ASMs on both sides. The brake cables get snapped into the mounting tabs, and connected with the same hardware removed from the OEM brakes. I also topped off the differential oil since it lost some during the install.

The instructions cover how to check clearance and to properly set the brakes.
They don't feel much different than the drum brakes, but do have more power bringing the larger tires to a stop effectively. Also the parking brake is rock solid now. Overall a great mod and worth doing if you've been on the fence about it. If I ever stretch the cart I will probably consider adding front hydraulic discs, but for now this will do it.

Also I need to change the shock bushings on both sides. This thing is worse than a boat. Every change requires another change.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #10
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nice work young pup. Good documentation and commentary.
ReelTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car