lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Club Car Matt
Not Yet Wild

Default Power Kit Install and no results

Need some help fellas. I have a 05 Club Car gas and I purchased a power kit from BuggiesUnlimited which includes: K&N filter, HD driven clutch spring, 8:1 speed gears, new drive belt, and clutch tuning kit (for drive clutch). I installed everything except the drive clutch tuning kit. My cart now has lost some speed and has no torque. I noticed the drive clutch isn't closing all the way allowing the belt to ride up the pulley while driving down the road with me on it. The engine RPMs are not that high either. Now when I jack the back end of the cart up with no weight on it and push pedal to floor, the drive clutch closes, belt rides to within half inch from top and the wheels are turning fast. The cart with all four wheels on ground has no power or speed. I have taken apart and cleaned both clutches and sprayed shafts with WD 40. Could it be a carb tuning issue due to the new filter? Im lost. Sorry for the long post thanks for any ideas.
Club Car Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Power Kit Install and no results

I think if you switch to the k&n air filter it's recommended to rejet the carb because of the increesed air flow from the k&n to put the carb back in proper adjustment, can always call carts part plus, or just put your old filter back in and see if that helped. If so then call Tom at cpp and order what ya need to get your carb right.
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
stinger5
Gone Wild

Using WD40 or any other proprietary form of lubrication is a huge NO NO anywhere near the clutches. Regarding the K&N filter; buy into their BS all you want but more air requires more fuel and unless you have a computer controlled injection system it's all down to old school mathematics and re-jetting. You still wont beat the CC installed restrictions unless you remove them. The K&N (i'm reliably informed) will provide a little more pop at start up but after that it's all down to your engine tune and the amount of RPM'S you can pull. The standard system flows enough air when tuned correctly and a modified cart will easily hit 25 mph + using standard parts. These little motors are inherently tunable using the standard parts since they were so dumbed down originallly.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Club Car Matt
Not Yet Wild

I'll try putting the factory filter in and see what happens. I asked the tech guy at Buggies did the carb need jetting after the K&N and he said no it will be fine. Why is WD-40 on the clutch shaft a no no? Belt slip?? I put it on the shafts where it slides.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
luvnit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Car Matt View Post
Why is WD-40 on the clutch shaft a no no? Belt slip?? I put it on the shafts where it slides.
Clutches are made to grab. WD40 does the opposite.
luvnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Club Car Matt
Not Yet Wild

Put factory filter back in and still sluggish take off and slow speed. I might take it to a dealer and see what they can do. Not sure whats going on here. Thanks for the input. No more WD 40 near the clutches!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Did you ask anyone at BU? (either the forum or tech service?)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Club Car Matt
Not Yet Wild

I found the problem and feal like an idiot. Took it to the dealer today and there is a bracket that bolts to top of rear axle that holds the gov. cable and somehow when installing the gears this bracket got bent. It was not allowing the carb to open up fully. After getting it straight the cart now runs 30 mph and has good torque with the HD spring. I hope this will help somebody else who may have the same luck as me.

I talked to Greg at Buggies tech and he said to take the drive clutch off and clean it along with adjusting the valves on the motor. He said he had never heard of any problems with the kit. One simple bent bracket was the problem. Appreciate the help guys.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

I think it's a pretty good story, and gotta love a happy ending!
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Club Car Matt
Not Yet Wild

I agree
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car