lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Rover64
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ignition Switch, Off On Position

I just bought a complete rearend out of a later 90's gas EZGO with the 350 Robins engine. All the parts were there, but all the electrical had been cut through. After looking at the manuals posted on the site I rewired everything and got it fired up yesterday...a nice feeling since I had bought the thing with the assurance that it ran before they cut everything to pieces.

My question is this...the ignition switch has three positions: what I assume is off, on, and one for the lights. When I switch the key from the off to on position it fires up, but the starter must still be cranking because the switch stays in place, there's not the usual 'turn key past the run position until it starts and then return'. Is this normal? Won't the battery run dead if it's constantly powering the starter?

I could easily have wired the switch wrong, or possibly a bad switch?

Any insight will help. Thanks!
Rover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ignition Switch, Off On Position

If I understand you right, with the key in the on position it shouldn't start until you push on the gas peddle (if that's what it's doing). The gas peddle has a switch under it that starts it, then kills it when you let up on the peddle and yes that third position is on + lights.

Welcome to BGW.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Rover64
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. I thought the gas pedal might have something to do with it. I don't have the gas pedal. When I was doing the wiring I brought power directly from the ignition switch to the battery. I must have bypassed the accelerator switch.

So the starter is cranking/receiving power whenever the engine is running? That seems like it will drain the power quickly. Would another ignition switch work that doesn't constantly run the battery?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

The starter is a combo starter/generator.

Like I said above, the ignition switch is powered by the battery, then when switched to the on position it sends power to the gas peddle switch, then when you push the peddle it sends power to the starter, then after it starts the starter becomes the generator.

Tell us more about your project, what do you have this motor/rearend in and running that don't have a gas peddle?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Rover64
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That is very helpful thank you. So I did wire a little incorrectly. I put power straight from the battery to the switch and bypassed the accelerator switch.

When I bought the rearend it didn't have any of the accelerator components.

I have been reading this forum for a while trying to get ideas for my project. It's an old amusement car that ran on an electric track. It looks like an early model t. I want to convert it to gas power and after a lot of research decided the EZGO rearend would fit nicely. I'll have to do some modification, but for the most part I'm hoping for an almost direct bolt up and go.

Not the typical golf cart builder. But I have several projects like this one and each time I learn a little more. Maybe one day I will finish my current projects and tackle a full cart project.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Sounds like an interesting project, post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Rover64
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here's a few pics of two different projects. The orange one has the EZGO rearend set to go in (when I have the time). I'm going to have to redrill the drums to mount the wheels. I'll probably have to make some body modifications, but should be pretty cool when it's all done.

Maybe one day I'll put the big block in and really make it mean. It will be pretty unsafe as is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orange car.jpg (386.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Orange car 2.jpg (425.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Alley 9.JPG (210.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Really Kool Rover!! I had a couple early dodgem cars once I wish I had kept, I see guys putting them on golf cart chassis now.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Rover64
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks! I saw a picture of some of those bumper cars on some sort of quad or golf cart chassis. I think that would be some fun. Maybe that's a project for the future.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO