lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
dan161
Getting Wild

Default 1990 marathon drive clutch

I don't want to sound stupid here, but I'm relatively new to this golf cart thing and I want to know the difference between a comet clutch and regular OEM drive clutch. Then with that being said, is a comet clutch a better option on a 90 marathon with a pg3 motor then the regular stock clutch?

And last is there a cheaper option out there to pull the drive clutch other then a $40 pulller bolt?

Thanks in advance!
dan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
dan161
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1990 marathon drive clutch

I know somebody on this site has the answer I need regarding this. Also I took the cover off my drive clutch last night and I guess I'm not sure how to determine if its worn out or not. I cleaned things out good and used a little graphite to lube some of the moving parts and I also stretched the spring a little. For some reason the cover on my clutch is really big versus what I am seeing on websites for the new ones that are somewhat cone shaped. Anybody know why?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
justlakinit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Is this the clutch you have?
justlakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
dan161
Getting Wild

Nope, mine has a bigger rounder cover on it. I can get a picture of it later and post it. Its about the size of coffee can and completely flat on the outside end of it with a plate that bolts to it with 6 bolts.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

this is the clutch you have, go with a gold spring for around 20.00-30.00 you will thank me, go to an auto parts store and buy the cheap pulley puller, it threads right inside this clutch all the way down to the crank popping it off. the name of the spring manufacturer is Erlandson get the gold for your drive and the red for the driven
blah blah.jpg
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
dan161
Getting Wild

Icyveins, that does look very similair, but the face of mine is slightly different. But basically the same though. Why is this so much different then the cone shaped drive clutches you see online for sale?

I took the spring out last night and it was yellow to goldish in color. I stretched it about it about 3/4 inch longer but I have no idea how old this spring is or worn out it may be. Can you tell me who carries these Erlandson springs or where i go to get them? For $30 or less i'd be willing to try it. I already have the high torque spring in the driven clutch and yes it did help. My concern with putting heavier spring in drive clutch is that its gonna want to launch on take off then or rev really high and be much noisier while driving around campground and such.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan161 View Post
That does look very similair, but the face of mine is slightly different. But basically the same though. Why is this so much different then the cone shaped drive clutches you see online for sale?

I took the spring out last night and it was yellow to goldish in color. I stretched it about
cone shaped drives are mostly all comet clutchs, in order to buy a stock clutch for an ezgo engine you are gonna need deep pockets. comet was an aftermarket clutch designed by erlandson offering a cheaper very usable clutch , he worked for comet. cost of a comet is around 300.00 they are very tunable. cost of an OEM replacement is around 450.00
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
dan161
Getting Wild

Good info to know...guess I didn't know that. I thought maybe the comet clutches were some sort of high performance clutch or something like that. Do you know off the top of your head who sells the gold spring for the drive clutch? Also what are your thoughts about the launching and reving a lot higher while driving around slowly? Thanks
Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

RED spring ..... ebay.....24.90$
it will come off idle a little higher but once it engages you should be able to feather back on the throttle and keep it engaged. I fell in love with my clutch setup until is started to vibrate really bad. my drive clutch went bad so I changed out to a comet just because I couldn't choke down 450 for a new OEM.
hope this helps you will be really happy with the red and gold springs. if you ever get a chance to do some off roading it will work a lot better also ...climbing hills and what not.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
dan161
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyveins View Post
RED spring ..... ebay.....24.90$
it will come off idle a little higher but once it engages you should be able to feather back on the throttle and keep it engaged. I fell in love with my clutch setup until is started to vibrate really bad. my drive clutch went bad so I changed out to a comet just because I couldn't choke down 450 for a new OEM.
hope this helps you will be really happy with the red and gold springs. if you ever get a chance to do some off roading it will work a lot better also ...climbing hills and what not.
Thanks Icyveins...I will keep this in mind. I stretched out the spring i have in my drive clutch and it starts really good now but it takes it 2 city blocks to get enough rpms up to hit the final shift point to reach top speed. Think maybe I overdid it a bit with the stretching so going to try and shrink it back up a bit and see how things end up before I spend the money more parts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO