lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
duurmeehr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Total Charge 20484 Wiring Diagram

I really need a wiring diagram or a schematic for a Total Charge 20484 Charger manufactured 02/1986.

It is the one with the green front, ammeter, red circuit breaker button, and you turn the dial to start and it times how long the charge ran before the sensing circuit stops it.

The charger works fine as far as charging but there was obviously something wrong with the circuit board in the past and one wire is pulled off one of the AC terminals and the other one is missing completely. I suspect it was jumped to make it operate manually.

I am willing to invest in a circuit board to get it working like it was originally designed but would like to know the connections.
duurmeehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
duurmeehr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Total Charge 20484 Wiring Diagram

Found one.

Thanks anyhow.

Here it is if it will help anyone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Total Charge Wiring.pdf (104.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here are the other pages associated with a Total Charge charger in that manual.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here are pictures showing how the control board is wired and the faceplate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150325_104101652.jpg (303.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150325_112237075_HDR.jpg (349.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150325_112301372.jpg (298.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150325_104141113.jpg (300.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150325_112111563.jpg (302.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
duurmeehr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Very good, thanks.

Simple operation once you see the schematic and understand what it's doing.

Turning the switch to start closes the power circuit through the timer that is in series with the contacts on the board and allows them to stay closed until (A) the timer completely times through it's cycle and opens the circuit or (B) the board senses the proper DC voltage at the battery and opens the AC that feeds the timer thus stopping it in it's tracks so you can see how long it timed during the charge cycle.

If the timer still has some time left and the battery voltage drops below the set threshold in the board it will actually start the charger up again! (until the timer comes back around to off).

Pretty dang bullet proof!!

If this rain will quit one day I need to run the cart some to discharge the batteries so I can see if the board is actually bad before buying one.

You never know what someone did in the past.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
duurmeehr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Man, that's way to clean inside!

The wires are reversed on mine as far as the timer contacts (B & C).

Probably done when someone was working on it at one point.

The charger don't know the difference as long as they open and close however.

Being anal I will probably switch them around to match the wiring diagram.

Don't want those electrons running backwards in the wires. haha
Old 11-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Not my charger or pictures.
Way too clean inside for my stuff also.

I'm pretty sure this charger will not restart when the voltage drops. Otherwise the primary function of the control board would be lost. (But I might be wrong, just most of this type charge weren't that smart.)

The control board only does two things.
1. If the battery pack voltage is high enough (about 30V typically) the relay closes applying AC line voltage to the timer, which in turn applies AC line voltage to the primary of the transformer.

2. The the battery Pack's on-charge voltage reaches the preset voltage the control board is set to (in the 44V to 46V typically), it de-energizes the relay, which shuts off the timer and removes AC line voltage from the transformer.

To restart the charger, you have to physically remove the charger plug from the cart and then reconnect it. Otherwise the control board will stay in the "Charge complete" mode forever. (Or until the voltage between the small red and black battery sense wires drops to zero and resets the relay hold circuit.

The backup or safety timer in later generations of this type charger were electronic ones that are part of the control board.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Festus55
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the schematic and other images. Wish I had found them yesterday!

Just bought an OLD cart (1989) and its batteries are beyond dead. And, not knowing any better, I questioned the operation of the charger (1988 MFG date) because it seemed to be as dead as the batteries.

So, I removed the cover and, after a few minutes, discovered that, because one side of the AC line went through it, the circuit board seemed to be there to sense the battery voltage before allowing the charger to turn on. Hmmm, this thing isn't as 'brute force' as it appears. I mean, after all, given that it weighs almost as much as the batteries . . . It had to be a boat anchor, right?

Anyhow, I didn't have 36-volts-worth of cart batteries but I did have come smaller, 12 volt batteries. Connecting 3 in series allowed me to test the charger by removing the red "sense" wire from the board and connecting my 36-volt pack in the appropriate locations. And, POOF - No, it didn't smoke, explode or anything bad, it came to life producing 45 volts at the output. I chose to connect the smaller batteries this way instead of connecting them to the SB50 plug because it seemed easier and more secure.

So, as soon as the new capacitor comes in, the charger should be ready to go. The old cap was pretty rusty - Apparently, one of the two previous owners left it out in the rain - I'm guessing it was the guy who sold it to me because he apparently allowed his kids to abuse the cart. Anyone have a front cowl cap they'd care to part with? A windshield?
Festus55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
muffinhill
Not Yet Wild

my charger, just like the one with green front, shuts off after about two minutes, with the bank at 32 v. what do you think could be the problem. it runs forever with the relay wires jumped together
muffinhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO