lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
apro2929
Not Yet Wild

Lightbulb EZ-GO 2008 RXV openCAN not sending info

Hello, I have a 2008 EZ-GO RXV golf car , ACD 4805 controller by Danaher.
---------
I'm trying to access the CANbus through a CAN adapter called
Canalyst 2 and obtain information from the CANopen protocol such as speed and etc.
-------
When I connect the adapter and follow the instructions and set the correct baud rate (250k) I only get one message upon switching the car to ON:
Is there a required step to be done or something to be sent to the car in order to start receiving information from the CAN ?
apro2929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2017, 04:55 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO 2008 RXV openCAN not sending info

Your Danaher controller is attempting to handshake with an external device. Information is not sent out over the CANbus randomly at intervals to intercept. An interface needs to respond to the handshake request, establish an active connection, then depending upon the device type connected, queries will be responded to. Valid devices are an e-speedometer, and a diagnostic device. The speedometer is the least expensive device that you can buy from E-Z-GO.

https://shop.ezgo.com/products/48-Volt-Speedometer.html

The E-Z-GO part number is 609401 and can be ordered online. However, the CANbus adapter harness to allow you to connect it is a dealer item, E-Z-GO part number 614897. Contact a local dealer and have them order it for you.

It is plug and play on the Danaher controller RXVs, but would not work on my 2012 Curtis controller RXV. It will read out the calculated speed (based upon calibrations that may need to be done if you changed tire size), battery state of charge, and will read out stored trouble codes on the display. The Curtis RXV controllers support CANbus, but the CANbus port from the controller is not wired to the CANbus connector under the cupholder in the factory harness. The 2Five does have it wired to a speedometer port, no adapter harness required.

Once you have that speedometer and adapter harness connected, you'll be able to monitor the CANbus traffic, learn the device IDs required to query the controller, and expand your knowledge. More information about programming...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ontroller.html

When I get time, I will be delving into the world of interfacing and programming Danaher controllers. My plate is sorta full at the moment though with all of the projects I have going on and now a TV series that I've been asked to do.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Your Danaher controller is attempting to handshake with an external device. Information is not sent out over the CANbus randomly at intervals to intercept. An interface needs to respond to the handshake request, establish an active connection, then depending upon the device type connected, queries will be responded to. Valid devices are an e-speedometer, and a diagnostic device. The speedometer is the least expensive device that you can buy from E-Z-GO.

https://shop.ezgo.com/products/48-Volt-Speedometer.html

The E-Z-GO part number is 609401 and can be ordered online. However, the CANbus adapter harness to allow you to connect it is a dealer item, E-Z-GO part number 614897. Contact a local dealer and have them order it for you.

It is plug and play on the Danaher controller RXVs, but would not work on my 2012 Curtis controller RXV. It will read out the calculated speed (based upon calibrations that may need to be done if you changed tire size), battery state of charge, and will read out stored trouble codes on the display. The Curtis RXV controllers support CANbus, but the CANbus port from the controller is not wired to the CANbus connector under the cupholder in the factory harness. The 2Five does have it wired to a speedometer port, no adapter harness required.

Once you have that speedometer and adapter harness connected, you'll be able to monitor the CANbus traffic, learn the device IDs required to query the controller, and expand your knowledge. More information about programming...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ontroller.html

When I get time, I will be delving into the world of interfacing and programming Danaher controllers. My plate is sorta full at the moment though with all of the projects I have going on and now a TV series that I've been asked to do.

Bob
So on the older RXVs can u tap into this? The ex-speedometer guy say u can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190601-074827_Drive.jpg (219.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190601-074740_Drive.jpg (216.0 KB, 0 views)
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Bob? Anybody?

The goal is to have the ex-ray read the pack voltage (48v). If I connect it after my reducer it just picks up that 12v.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Why not connect it to the solenoid which we were discussing for reducer. It's the post that powers the controller, shown here. Sketch is only meant to be for locating a safe switched pack positive. Ex-Ray negative can connect to pack negative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV Reducer.jpg (86.2 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

He's talking about the + and - CAN bus communications port connections
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Why not connect it to the solenoid which we were discussing for reducer. It's the post that powers the controller, shown here. Sketch is only meant to be for locating a safe switched pack positive. Ex-Ray negative can connect to pack negative.
Im not sure, isn't that 48v running to my accessory?
Old 06-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Bob will that get me a reading of current voltage? And not blow out the ex-ray or any thing else in my cart.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Maybe there's a new and improved Ex-Ray. Mine took a signal from a motor temp sensor, that was included, a proximity switch for speedometer, also included, and pack voltage, for voltage reading.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuggyboy View Post
Bob will that get me a reading of current voltage? And not blow out the ex-ray or any thing else in my cart.
Where did you get your Ex-Ray? Which make/model do you have? Make, because several folks made them over the years. Mine was Alltrax. I just went to EV-Drive and downloaded their installation and operation manual, and it is the same as mine; no mention of tapping into the CAN bus. Is there a newer one that talks to an RXV? It wouldn't surprise me.

Tags
canalyst2, canbus, canopen, canprotocol, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO