lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Bad battery?

So just checked my battery pack and saw this on only one battery. Think the battery is bad?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Denzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Bad battery?

It looks like a bad connection. Take it apart and clean all of that red stuff off. While your at it check them all. Some paint may have got under the connections. Torque to 100in/lbs.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the connection is not the problem then the battery may have an internal short. How does the voltage in this battery compare to the rest of the pack? Lower? It may be bad.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll check the voltage today. Just saw it last night. The "red stuff" is battery corrosion prevention spray and I also did torque to what the battery said to which was 120 if I remember.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The heat damage seen in the picture you posted may be a result of over-tightening the nuts on the studs.

The stud is actually a hex-head stainless steel bolt embedded in the lead post. Lead is a soft, malleable metal and too much torque will twist the hex-head in the lead and only the six points will remain in contact with the lead of the battery post instead of having the six flats in contact, so current (amps) density skyrockets, generating enough heat to melt the lead battery post.

The recommended torque for that type terminal is 95 to 105 INCH/lbs, which translates to 7.92 to 8.75 FOOT/lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Torque Specs - Circled.jpg (117.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Grab the connector and try to wiggle it from side to side. Looking at the picture again and I see its got a automotive DT stud. The way I interpret JohnnieB's torque chart is 120-180 in/lbs for the larger automotive stud and 50-70 for the screw stud.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Grab the connector and try to wiggle it from side to side. Looking at the picture again and I see its got a automotive DT stud. The way I interpret JohnnieB's torque chart is 120-180 in/lbs for the larger automotive stud and 50-70 for the screw stud.
I tried to wiggle the connector and it was solid.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If the connection is not the problem then the battery may have an internal short. How does the voltage in this battery compare to the rest of the pack? Lower? It may be bad.
All the voltages are the same at 8.69 after full charge.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cleanup the connection and keep an eye on it. You may have caught it in time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO