lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
coachwrestle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 RXV Brake problem??

I drove my cart down to a friends house. Drove just fine. Parked the cart and talked to the neighbor for a while. I left the key in Forward position. When I got back onto the cart to go home, It would barely move. I pushed the pedal to the floor and it would just crawl. I flipped the switch to tow and it rolled just fine.
I felt a "drag" feeling from the cart when it did move. I had the e-brake replaced in December of 2016.
Any thoughts on what is wrong?
coachwrestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it crawled I'd look at the bearing encoder.

The controller not getting a good signal from the turning of the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
coachwrestle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 RXV Brake problem??

Thanks jkredman. I've researched the encoder and it seems that you are right about my problem.
Do you know if this is an easy fix?
Old 10-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Your going to have to take the motor off to do this.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did a couple posts with detailed instructions. When I get a chance to get back to my computer I'll find them and repost it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it is the encoder bearing it’s a nuisance but not the end of the world. The motor has to be removed.

I used ratchet tie down straps I have for my truck to support the weight of the motor while I removed it and reinstalled it in my cart. I was working through the bag well access so I would be way off balance trying to support the motor by hand.

First, you’ll need to disconnect the power wires from the controller and thread them through to the back of the cart.

I recommend you go ahead and remove the motor brake. It reduces the weight some, gives you the opportunity to inspect it, and protects it from damage should the motor be dropped.

There are like 6 bolts easily accessible, but a couple are blind, that attach the motor to the gearbox. If I remember correctly I used a 1/4” drive socket wrench with a 10mm or 11mm socket.

There are 4 long, Allen wrench, bolts that hold the motor together. They had to be removed to allow the removal of the plate to which the bearing encoder is mounted into.

There is also a big c clip type clamp around the shaft that has to be removed. Don’t try to pop it off with a screwdriver, it’s too big. Spend the $15 or so for the tool.

Pull the plate off the motor

The bearing encoder is held into place by a couple of small retaining rings that are healed into place by 2 small screws. Once unscrewed, the old bearing encoder popped right out. The new one slid in easily and I lightly tapped it on the bearing race with a rubber mallet a couple of times to make sure it was properly seated.

Then I reversed the disassembly process to bolt it all back together.

All in all, it took me about 90 minutes, and 2 beers....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
coachwrestle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice and help. It makes me a little more confident on doing it myself. Gotta get the part ordered and then I'll get to it. My little girl loves to ride the cart and we've down since last week-end. I've gotta get it running so we can get back to riding!!!
I have a feeling it may take me a few more PBR's. I'm a novice at this stuff.
Thank you again.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I think it can be done in the bagwell, with the cables still attached. The cables are long enough to allow you to pull the motor, and put it in the bagwell while still connected.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #9
coachwrestle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I got the encoder changed. Cart is up and running. Thanks jkredman for the advice and instructions. Process was just as you said. I pulled the body off the cart to do the work. Made it easier for me. The old bearing slipped out so easy I thought I had done something wrong.
cgtech you were correct on the length of the wires. Didn't have to disconnect any wires from the motor. That was a big relief.

Thanks for all the advice and help about my problem. Saved me a couple hundred dollars on labor! My daughter and I took a ride this afternoon and that was the best!
Old 10-09-2018, 11:49 PM   #10
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Glad your up & running again!!!!

You failed to report how many beers were consumed during the process.

In my case, when I can enjoy a beer, I’m tinkering. Otherwise it’s work!!!!!

Congrats on being up & running again.
Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO