lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #1
Hubb
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 Volt Ezgo slow up hills

Hi,
I apologize in advance as I have seen this question posted many times. I have an 05 Ezgo Series Txt 36 volt golf cart that is very sluggish even on moderate hills.

My batteries are just over a year old and I don't use the cart that much. I've had this problem for some time and I've just put off fixing it. I charged my batteries to full charge about a week ago. The cart has been unplugged from the charger for at least a week.

I show right at 36 volts across the terminals.
Jacking the cart up and checking across M- and B+, I show the same with full throttle.

Checking the voltage across the motor terminals when the cart is struggling to go up hill, I see voltage drop to almost 30v.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Hubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 Volt Ezgo slow up hills

Take a look at this chart supplied by johnnieb. It sounds like you have battery problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9BAAF5CD-1AB8-40FC-A4A7-39CE17F1E402.jpeg (127.1 KB, 0 views)
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

36 volts is dead. Do you always put your cart on charge after driving it? Do you restart the charge every month?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
Hubb
Not Yet Wild

Most of the time, I do put it back on charge after riding it. This past time I did not. My thinking was: if I left it off charge for a week and still had plenty of voltage, that might rule out batteries. That was only my thoughts. I put it on charge about an hour ago after seeing orangeman6's response
Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One week without charger can't account for your voltage, assuming it was fully charged, a week ago. Try connecting a digital multimeter (DMM) to each battery, one at a time, and write down the voltage while driving uphill. Repeat using the same hill for each battery. Report back.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Partially discharged lead/acid battery cells begin to degrade (sulphate) immediately, and the rate of degradation (sulphation) is directly tied to the level of discharge. Keeping cells fully charged prevents this degradation. So... Always charge your batteries as soon as possible after using them, to help prevent this degradation. This extends the useful life of the cells in your batteries.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
Hubb
Not Yet Wild

Hello All,
I charged my batteries to full charge and ran the cart this evening as yurtle suggested. I tested the voltage of the batteries before running and while running up hill in the struggling condition. I have the following results.

Before running the cart:
Across battery terminals= 37.6 V
battery 1 =6.33v
battery 2 =6.30v
battery 3 =6.26v
battery 4 =6.22v
battery 5 =6.28v
battery 6 =6.26v

While running the cart uphill, 6 passes, 1 pass for each battery:
(I'm reporting the lowest voltage I saw during each pass, this was not constant)
battery 1 =5.70v
battery 2 =5.65v
battery 3 =5.63v
battery 4 =5.58v
battery 5 =5.67v
battery 6 =5.60v
I made a 7th run up the hill and I connected the meter to the motor terminals to determine the voltage delivered to the motor and got 30.1 volts.

When I returned home, I checked the voltage across the battery terminals again and got 37.1 volts.
Thanks

Last edited by Hubb; 10-09-2018 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: misspell
Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Try repeated back to back charges. JohnnyB did this and improved the storage capacity of his old batteries. Yours are only one year old, but little more than 80% SOC. Are they still covered by warranty?

Your reading of 37.1 volts right after you drove it, was not really a valid reading. The voltage recovers with time, after letting it rest.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Hubb
Not Yet Wild

The warranty of the batteries ran out in June. This problem has been present since the batteries were new. I'm not saying they couldn't be bad but I distinctly remember this problem the day I put the batteries in. I just have put it off.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #10
Hubb
Not Yet Wild

Looking back on my previous data, I see that I got the same voltage delivered to the motor on batteries that had not been charged in over a week (yesterday) and batteries with a fresh charge (today). Is it possible for my batteries to be bad?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO