lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Something wacky with 2002 DS steering

I did manage to get the steering wheel straight and it turns equal distance from right to left but the steering still gets hung up at full right turn and will not release unless I put it in reverse and crank hard on the wheel to get it back straight. It's almost as if the right wheel is over traveling causing it to lock up. I have the toe set at just a little over 1/8" as suggested so if I adjust that it will throw that adjustment off. Think maybe I got a defective lift kit?
Allmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Your settings are correct and the steering sounds correct. Since it is only doing it going to the right, I am more fearful it is in the GB at the end of the stroke. But I am not saying that is it, just a possibility.

What type lift is this?

Are there stops on it to stop it from over traveling?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #13
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

RHOX 3" spindle lift from Golf Cart King. I don't think the previous owner did much in terms of maintenance. It was mainly used for booze cruises around the neighborhood he lived in with his local drinking buddies.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #14
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Sorry didn't see the question about the stops. Yes there are stops. The stop on the passenger side is the steering TRE bracket and it stops on the control arm at full right turn where it binds, but the drivers side does not come in contact with anything at full left turn.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Locking up when you turn all the way one direction is usually an indication of a caster angle problem. The few lift kits that I've done have the steering arm redesigned so they cant turn all the way, which mostly keeps bigger tires from hitting against the chassis or body of the cart.

Posted at same time.

If the right side is hitting the stop but the left side isn't, you probably will have to add stop blocks to the steering arms to prevent it from turning all the way.
If you were to readjust the rack so it can turn left all the way, (not saying to do this, just a rhetorical) and the left steering stop were to hit the control arm, you would probably have the same binding on the left side due to the design of the lift spindles.

I should also add, you can make sure your control arms are not bent, and the upper spindle plates (I think called a delta plate) are not bent. Those will affect caster angle. The only other way I've seen caster greatly affected on these carts is if the leaf spring is installed/bolted on incorrectly, or if the bolts that secure the shock tower assembly have broken (they can rust in the middle and break without being easily visible) and the whole assembly has shifted on the frame.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #16
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Locking up when you turn all the way one direction is usually an indication of a caster angle problem. The few lift kits that I've done have the steering arm redesigned so they cant turn all the way, which mostly keeps bigger tires from hitting against the chassis or body of the cart.

Posted at same time.

If the right side is hitting the stop but the left side isn't, you probably will have to add stop blocks to the steering arms to prevent it from turning all the way.
If you were to readjust the rack so it can turn left all the way, (not saying to do this, just a rhetorical) and the left steering stop were to hit the control arm, you would probably have the same binding on the left side due to the design of the lift spindles.
I think I saw some steering stops somewhere. I can't remember though. I will have to look at the sponsor sites to see if I can find some and try that. I think in the mean time I could take a small block of metal or wood and attach somehow to the right side steering stop. I have great turning radius on the drivers side but not on the passenger. Boy this golf cart has been an adventure to say the least.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #17
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmanac View Post
-snip-
Boy this golf cart has been an adventure to say the least.
Welcome to the Carting World!!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #18
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Just an update on where I am with the steering. Apparently after putting larger tires 20x10x10 and redoing the toe adjustments it actually helped with the steering. It does not lock up any longer when turning right. I still however have the binding feeling every half turn of the steering wheel in either direction. I lubed up the steering knuckles really good and they don't seem to be in that bad of shape. Maybe I will take the rack out and see if it needs some lubrication inside. I'm pretty sure after being on the coast near salt water for 16 years and the previous owner not doing any maintenance it may be a little tired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0868.jpg (294.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1487.jpg (273.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #19
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Good idea....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car