lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #11
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Front suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Agreed something looks bent on front end,picture shows left side at an angle compared to right side maybe?
Does it look like frame, front end may have been welded/repaired at some point?
Use magnetic angle finder to see if both spindle/king pin assembly are the same.
If they differ leaning in or out,that would be camber.
However if the differ leaning front to rear, that would be caster that would definetlly cause your problem.
Wood spacers to me indicate someone was trying to compensate for other then lifts original design.
Remove and get cart siting level then measure to make sure everything is square.
beings your doing extreme speeds all needs to be square on front end before alignment can be done.😊
Yes I suspect the whole front end was out. He never ran this cart much over 12 MPH so he didn't care much about the alignments and such. He had ACE hardware u bolts holding the rear end in it. I'm talking 1/4" stuff.
I'm thinking about building a front axle with R&P cutting out all the old and installing a complete setup.

You don't even want to know how he has the steering arm attached under the cart. It ant duct taped and it doesn't have tie wraps either just black electrical tape! I kid you not! You can see it in this picture. He did put a piece of angle in it though!

On a good note though a buddy came over to check it out and has volunteered to cut and do me a hard wood dash for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52451591_2431762380231545_5792991510194552832_n.jpg (67.0 KB, 0 views)
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2019, 11:05 PM   #12
Glade Rider
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Front suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Guy's we drag raced these thing's @ over 60 MPH, one guy even was running a 3 wheeler at over 80 MPH and that was 10 years ago! Yes I know it's only meant for 15 MPH but hey I got to beat my neighbors to the beach for that perfect spot to setup the chairs!

I went up to the shop and started messing with the front end. I got the tie rods off but man those threads where on there good. I couldn't move them on the cart at all so I took the things off and put in the vise and used a 24" pipe wrench to get them to move + a some PB blaster!
I got them all working good and reinstalled and realigned the front end and set it back on the ground and noticed the passenger side wheel looked a little off. It's sticking out of the front fender a 1/2" further than the drivers side!I'll try and fix that tomorrow and grease all the fittings.
My EZGO runs 34 MPH on 48 Volts. Handling sucked. Jakes long travel front suspension and stiff coil overs in the rear made a huge difference in stability. 40 MPH is bad ***. I race cars, skis, etc. 30-40 is no big deal. I say the faster the better! Nice job!!!
Glade Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #13
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Unhappy Re: Front suspension

Thanks,
I figured since I bought a Hot Rod looking cart it should run like one too.
It has has coil overs on the back now. It looks to have plain stock shocks up front which will soon be gone. Replace them with some coil over to I hope.
I want to get the steering done first though.

I got the lights all wired up to the relays today and got my shifter knob done.
I had been waiting on a GPS speedometer I ordered well it came yesterday late and it's not GPS it's a normal unit. I can't use it. I've sent the seller a request for another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shifter knob2.jpg (70.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-22-2019, 11:39 PM   #14
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Front suspension

I'm looking at some coil overs for bicycles to use on Woodie up front. They are small though but hold 750 lbs each so they say. That should be more than enough to carry the front end.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #15
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Front suspension

I'm not sure but I may have figured out the wobble at speed! When PO built the cart he used sleeves and long bolts for extending the wheels out on the hubs. I suspect they aren't machined to each other so I will be replacing them with 3" spacers. Hope this and the coil over's I installed will cure the wobble.
I also had to drop back to 48 volts on the cart for now. The posi trac locker wasn't drive able at all even when you are barely moving it would plow the front wheels. So I put the original rear end back in it and will have a 72 volt high speed motor done at a later date.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #16
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Well I was right. Both sides where all loose fitting. I replaced both hubs and repacked the bearings and put 2" spacers with 1" lug extenders to get it close to where it was originally. I'm within a 1/4". This should make a world of diference in the way it drives I hope even on 48 volts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg old hubs.jpg (48.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg old hubs2.jpg (43.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg old hubs3.jpg (49.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New hubs installed.jpg (82.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 53117741_2461462417261541_2241578513075273728_n.jpg (57.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #17
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That would do it.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:41 AM   #18
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If it were me, i would build a wider axle and steering arms. Not use spacers! and for the lift, build it into the axle rather than block the springs. Like in my avatar.

I had no steering issues and man, My speeds were up there too. That picture was taken at Santa Pod, the UK's top drag strip.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #19
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
If it were me, i would build a wider axle and steering arms. Not use spacers! and for the lift, build it into the axle rather than block the springs. Like in my avatar.

I had no steering issues and man, My speeds were up there too. That picture was taken at Santa Pod, the UK's top drag strip.
Lift!!!

That is exactly what the plan is for but for now it will do. I have a car show to take it to in less than 2 weeks so I wanted it drivable . I have a complete R&P system I'm going to put in it along with longer axle made for it with drop knuckles to get the front end down.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #20
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Front suspension

I started on the widening of the front axle. I had the newer front axle so I used it. I may swap the front springs out as well. I hope to have all the R&P parts also to swap it over when I'm done.
If Robby can make 1 72 volt motor out of these 2 motors I will have a new motor also to install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new front axle.jpg (83.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fleet series motor.jpg (65.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fleet series motor2.jpg (66.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gone.jpg (79.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gone2.jpg (75.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO