lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
kankles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2001 EZGO TXT charger issue

I recently purchased a used 2001 EZGO TXT 36v that just had a fresh set of Duracell batteries installed 3/19.

Came with a Powerwise charger that doesn't appear to be working properly. When plugged in it starts to hum and amps read between 3-4 on the charger, is that normal?

Test dove it when I purchased, cart runs good. Drove it a little around the neighborhood, runs good. Wife drove around the neighborhood a few times last night, with light on, ran good. Went to plug it in and charger still read between 3-4 amps.

This normal?

I suspect the charger is bad
kankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZGO TXT charger issue

Your battery charger isn't working right.

Powerwise makes a lot of different chargers, but you say it hums and you mentioned amps, so it is likely to have an ammeter, so that more or less narrows it down to a PW 28115 or a PW-II.

Either one should start off at about 20A when first connected to battery pack and taper off to about 6A or so when the on-charge voltage approaches 45V.

If your batteries are being fully charged, you should read 38.2V or higher about 12 hours after the charge is disconnected and before cart is moved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (63.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
kankles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Your battery charger isn't working right.

Powerwise makes a lot of different chargers, but you say it hums and you mentioned amps, so it is likely to have an ammeter, so that more or less narrows it down to a PW 28115 or a PW-II.

Either one should start off at about 20A when first connected to battery pack and taper off to about 6A or so when the on-charge voltage approaches 45V.

If your batteries are being fully charged, you should read 38.2V or higher about 12 hours after the charge is disconnected and before cart is moved.

Thank you sir!

It is a Powerwise 28115 G04 (listed as model number)

It’s what I suspected, so I went ahead and ordered a Lester Summit II that should be here this coming week.

Will continuing to use this charger until the new Lester arrives do damage to the batteries if it’s even charging them at all?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is the battery pack voltage after about 12 hrs off charger, or about an hour after it has been driven?

You don't want to be driving it if the pack voltage is 36.3V or below.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Oops, didn't answer your question.

Won't hurt the batteries, but won't charge them much either.

On the other hand, if you've been using this charger since the batteries were new and been able to drivie the cart much, the ammeter on the charge might just be reading low. Tap the face of the meter gently a few times and see if it move upward.

The Summit II is a much better charger since the batteries tell the charger when they are fully charged rather than switching off when the on-charge voltage reaches 45V like the PW 28115 does.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If thumping the ammeter gets it to appear to work, you can CL it. I wouldn't drive it at all until your new charger arrives. With brand new batteries, proper break-in is important.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
kankles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
What is the battery pack voltage after about 12 hrs off charger, or about an hour after it has been driven?

I have not checked it. I will today when I get home from work.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
kankles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Oops, didn't answer your question.

Won't hurt the batteries, but won't charge them much either.

On the other hand, if you've been using this charger since the batteries were new and been able to drivie the cart much, the ammeter on the charge might just be reading low. Tap the face of the meter gently a few times and see if it move upward.

The Summit II is a much better charger since the batteries tell the charger when they are fully charged rather than switching off when the on-charge voltage reaches 45V like the PW 28115 does.

I have not driven it a whole lot, just around the neighborhood a few times but have not had any issues.

I also have not left it charging for a long period since I was not sure if it was harming the batteries or not

I just purchased this cart literally a week ago so still figuring things out.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
kankles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Again I appreciate all the help I can get
Old 04-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
kankles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Just drive it around the block and immediately checked it when I got back home...

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO