lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo txt hott solenoid

Been upgrading my 97 txt slowly over the past few months guess you can say I did it backwards. First the body, then lift and tires, headlights fender flares mirrors and just added a back seat.. all in the meantime cart was having issues being very slow. I got the brakes adjusted, and a newer solenoid installed. Improved speed from 8mph to 12. I went to a local shop and relathed the motor I’m now in the high teens 17-19 mph..

Now that we’re caught up it seems if I ride the cart for awhile it Boggs down fairly quick out of nowhere. The solenoid gets very hot to the touch and even at times has a burning smell to it.. guessing the load of larger tires back seat and the relathed motor drawing more amps solenoid isn’t cutting it..??

Any insight I was looking at carts unlimited at upgrading to the 200amp solenoid. Also battery’s all check out at 6.2-6.4 and the total pack without a load is 32.6 (I’ve read they should be higher)? I haven’t had a moment to do them under a load there 2015 batteries assuming there pretty much in there way out
Speedfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo txt hott solenoid

It sounds like it is time for new batteries. A fully charged pack will read 38.4v 24 hours after the charger has been disconnected. This is a true reading of how much voltage the pack can hold. This fully charged pack can be used until it reads 36v at rest or 32 under load.
32 at rest is way too low. When the voltage is too low the amperage draw spikes and this high amperage draw causes excessive heat, which you are seeing in the solenoid. This heat will kill all of the drive system components. So it is time to stop riding and get some fresh batteries. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty you’re the man! Thanks for the quick reply.. a local dealer by me has Powertron for 72$ a piece and new wires 18 month warranty or 102 for Trojans with a 24 month warranty and new wires. Is there a reason to upgrade the solenoid or batteries first? Also I have a 36 volt power wise charger is that ok to keep with new batteries think it has the fender built in
Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Take the Trojans if they are model 105 but not if 605. Compare Amp hour ratings on batteries, get the highest AH you can afford. Charging at the proper time is just as critical than having the latest charger. Good use and charging habits with an old charger will serve you well. Good use and charging habits with a new smart charger will serve you better. Getting new batteries should relieve the heat problems unless the system is unbalanced or damaged.In which case upgrade parts would be the best choice.
Install a digital battery meter in the cart and learn to monitor the new pack.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

May be a dumb question I just ordered a battery meter that gives exact volts.. what is the max volt it should read for a 36 pack? Also what is the number where I should charge it?
Old 04-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak95 View Post
May be a dumb question I just ordered a battery meter that gives exact volts.. what is the max volt it should read for a 36 pack? Also what is the number where I should charge it?
After the cart driven, the batteries need to put on charge, each and every time. or at least every night is cart is used for multiple short trip during day and not parked close to charger.

While out and about, the batteries should not be discharged any lower than 50%, which is 36.31V for Trojan brand batteries. Other brands have different State of Charge voltages. In other words, you need to plan ahead so you don't get below 36.31V before you get back to wherever the charger is.

Attached is a SoC (State of Charge) chart for Trojan brand batteries.

-------------
The voltages listed are taken 12 hours after the charger shuts off.
While charging, the on-charge voltage ought to reach at least 45V +/-1V and with some chargers it will be higher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #7
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

**** so at a rest my soC is 32% my batteries are beyond shot. Okay gonna get those Trojans hopefully Monday! That spreadsheet is awesome thanks
Old 04-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay so I just installed the digital volt meter. When your driving and the volts drop what is the constant it should be? I was around 40ish to start then it dropped down to about 27-28 when I was cruising? Mind you I know batteries are dead or dying? Me and my boy were cruising at around 17-18mph for about 30 mins.. so I can only imagine how fast I’m gonna cruise with new batteries
Old 04-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #10
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you were showing 40+ when you started, that had to be less than the 10-12 hrs after a full charge needed to give an accurate reading of the pack. Irregardless, dropping to 28 is not good. I believe I’ve read scottyb say that the pack shouldn’t drop more than 1 battery voltage. Ie: 6v in your case.

Also, I don’t know if you’re going to get more speed with a new pack unless you’re going to 48v. It’s the voltage increase that raises the speed. You may not get anything more than what you get fresh off a charge right now. Someone else would have to confirm that based on the readings of your pack.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO