lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
Jlk696
Not Yet Wild

Default 36V TXT charged with one battery cable off

I decided over the winter to top off batteries and clean corrosion. I went through and cleaned all of the batteries and topped off all of the water. I then took a genius 3500 charger that works for 6 volt batteries and went through each one charging each battery by itself. I then re hooked all batteries backup and closed the seat. At some point a month or so later the cart got plugged back in to charge for spring again. I was not the one that plugged it in so I am not sure the charger did anything. When I went to use the cart a week ago it would not move at all. I opened the sea to find that I had forgotten to hook one of the batteries backup. I hooked it back up and the cart at first seems to operate normally. However, the charge in the car only lasted about 5 minutes and was very sluggish in the grass. I charged the car again on the charger and try it again. This time it ran a little more normal but still did not run like previous year. After it runs for about 10 or 15 minutes it barely creeps and has this weird surging sound from what I assume is the controller. I barely got it into the garage today and checked all batteries all batteries are reading between 6.1 and 6.2 volts total output voltage is reading right at 37 I don't have a way to test voltage when I press the pedal though. Batteries are about 4 years old but I have never had an issue to this point. Batteries are worldwide brand. could leaving the cable off and running a charge cycle had ruined the batteries. I have not removed all batteries to take them and test them and I do not have a home tester. Does anyone know if this sounds like a controller issue or is this a battery related issue?
Jlk696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36V TXT charged with one battery cable off

I’m curious to hear the experts responses to this.

Which battery was it? They’re in series, so I would assume the pack would only charge to the last one in the string. The charger may not have even came on if the voltage it was able to sense wasn’t high enough.

I’ve never heard anyone mention that brand of battery. I’d have to assume they are lower end. Plus the fact that they are four years old and it doesn’t sound like they’ve been kept up to charge.

You can buy some leads to attach to your meter and pack to test the batteries under load while driving your cart. You can also make your own. A good tool to have and definitely worth the $ or time to source.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If they are reading 6.1 - 6.2 put them back on the charger and let it run until it shuts off.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

The charger would not come on with one cable unhooked.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

37V is only about 60% charged, so make sure all six batteries are connected and use the 36V charger. Let it run until it shuts off automatically, unplug charger from cart for about an hour then reconnect starting another charge cycle. Repeat.

That is about all you can do for those batteries at this point. They may recover some life, or maybe they won't.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
37V is only about 60% charged, so make sure all six batteries are connected and use the 36V charger. Let it run until it shuts off automatically, unplug charger from cart for about an hour then reconnect starting another charge cycle. Repeat.

That is about all you can do for those batteries at this point. They may recover some life, or maybe they won't.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
Jlk696
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I will do that today. I can make some test leads to run to my tester when I run it. As for the batteries, I was told they are the same as trojan 105's when I bought them. I will try to load a pic.

Thanks all!
Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Jlk696
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
If they are reading 6.1 - 6.2 put them back on the charger and let it run until it shuts off.
I figured they needed charged but I was surprised that even reading 37V the cart barely krept in the grass.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #9
Jlk696
Not Yet Wild

See attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15564601725974321111562464194398.jpg (350.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 15564602933863517067755854221135.jpg (333.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
Jlk696
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

What seems odd is that they have been good up until this winter. (Indiana) this is my first cart. Do they gradually go bad or do they go down hill quickly when they go? I guess I could check them with a 12v load tester two at a time. I will get a lead acid tester also and can check each cell.

Tags
charging, short run time, surging
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO