lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
srhoward
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine cuts out when lights on

Hi guys - 2002 ezgo txt 36V

I redid all the wiring over the winter, put in a step down 36V —> 12V to run all the accessories (lights). Bought all new batteries and patch cords. Charged it 2 cycles.

Everything seemed to be working great. Full charge - take it out alone today for the first time to test it - booted around great for about 2 minutes. Threw it back on the charger.

Added my wife to the cart - turned the lights on cuz it later and throttle up - it kicks in and out a few times. Then continue - we’re ok for a while kicks in and out again. Let it sit for a while. Add another passenger on the back - start up and it continues to kick in and out. I floor it and it dies - then starts up
- I ease off a bit.

So I’m fighting with this cart - in not sure if it’s the 12V causing this or if the batteries are not good or the speed sensor has a problem?

Any thoughts? I’m not going fast when it cuts out - throttle is half way down....

Tomorrow I will try it with/without lights on.
srhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Engine cuts out when lights on

Start with getting a good assessment of your batteries.

Brand, model, year?
Pack voltage 10-12 hrs after in finishes a full charge? Give the reading to the second decimal. Ie: 38.xx

You should also get a reading for each battery separately, then leave your meter on the pack and drive up a steep grade, maybe with passenger too, whatever you need to put a good load on the cart. You can do the load test for each battery too.

Is the cart all stock? What size tires?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
srhoward
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post

Brand, model, year?
Pack voltage 10-12 hrs after in finishes a full charge? Give the reading to the second decimal. Ie: 38.xx

You should also get a reading for each battery separately, then leave your meter on the pack and drive up a steep grade, maybe with passenger too, whatever you need to put a good load on the cart. You can do the load test for each battery too.

Hey if you check my original post I started with the brand model and year.

I’ll check those other points but it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with load. I was driving on a level surface pretty much crawling.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
rib33024

orangeman6 Is asking you about your batteries. Not your cart. Read his post again, and get us some numbers on the batteries to help you more
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
srhoward
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
orangeman6 Is asking you about your batteries. Not your cart. Read his post again, and get us some numbers on the batteries to help you more
If YOU reread it, the first question he asked was for the brand, model and year. I told him it was in my first post then said I would address the other points. But thanks for your contribution.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoward View Post
If YOU reread it, the first question he asked was for the brand, model and year. I told him it was in my first post then said I would address the other points. But thanks for your contribution.
Well I can definitely say barking back at a moderator isn’t a very smart thing. Orangeman6 was asking about the make and condition of your batteries, not the cart. If you can check that we can probably help out, otherwise have fun.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
srhoward
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post

Brand, model, year?

Hey Orangeman here’s what I have so far.

It’s lifted and bigger tires but everything else is stock. I need to check the tire size.

Resting after 12hours: 38.40V

Under big load: 34.7V

I realized with testing that it didn’t matter if lights were on or off, if I floor it, it will fly, then slow to a crawl reading 36V, then come back to life and read 35V.

It’s almost like it’s getting too much juice???

When it dies to a crawl, I never hear the solenoid kick off if that helps.

I’ll get the rest of what you asked for.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
srhoward
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Well I can definitely say barking back at a moderator isn’t a very smart thing. Orangeman6 was asking about the make and condition of your batteries, not the cart. If you can check that we can probably help out, otherwise have fun.
He did ask for the cart in addition to a bunch of other points that I had to work on and and get back with. Some of them I have since recently answered. I just find that some people are really helpful on here and others just jump at any opportunity to correct, not contribute, even when there is nothing to correct...I answered one of orange’s questions and said I would get back with the rest.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
rib33024

srhoward All I did is point out that orangeman6 wanted the year of your batteries Brand, model. He didn't ask you anything about what year cart you have. I was trying to help get the info on the batteries. So we could help you. And then you smart off to me like I did some thing wrong to you. I'm out

Happy Carting.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Yeah, you just can't help some people.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO