lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default How to Toe-in seems frozen, will I break it?

1991 marathon electric

The nuts for the Toe-in adjustment on the shaft look like they are part of the shaft not like they will loosen and allow me to adjust the toe-in. There is a 4 way Coss in the center (2 knubs up and down and the shaft left and right). Do I put a pipe on one of the cross nubs and turn it to adjust the toe it? The nuts won't budge on either end, the nuckles won't turn in or out separatly. So I figured it's a beast to turn and that's what the cross is for. Why are the nuts part on the shaft though just because they didn't want to make threads on a solid shaft then add a second tighten down nut??? Seems like the nut on both sides would be to tighten the threads down like a double nut so it wouldn't spin.

What I tried so far:
I unbolted the steering arm behind the axel and popped the nuckle down on one side I thought I would need to loosen the nut and then turn the nuckle in to get 1/8 to 1/4 toe in to get safer steering. It's at 1/2 inch toe-in and tugging right and left bad my dad and wife won't even drive it. The shaft nut wouldn't loosen. With the crown nut on the nuckle shaft the goes up into the steering bracket I was able to try and torque the nuckle in or out with a breaker bar and socket on the nut. With the socket on the nut I lifted up and pressed down vs tightening or loosening it and it wouldn't budge, but I didn't want to strip the crown nut with the breaker bar twisting off the nut sideways to the nut

So I'm thinking I need a solid 1/2 inch black or galv steel pipe and put it on the nubs at the cross and push up or down to twist the toe in or out

I don't want to break the nuckles. After wiping off the grease nothing seems rusted very much at all.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to Toe-in seems frozen, will I break it?

The nuts are separate from the ends and shaft. They are just tight and/or frozen in place.

Remember, one side is right hand threads, the other side is left hand threads.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
The nuts are separate from the ends and shaft. They are just tight and/or frozen in place.

Remember, one side is right hand threads, the other side is left hand threads.
It looks like the passenger side threads or righty tighty lefty loosey like normal is that correct

Old 05-31-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know if there is an iron-clad rule which side uses LH and RH threads. You have to confirm by looking at the threads and work accordingly.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
chrisr32
Gone Wild

[QUOTE=Stewbuntu;1620309]1991 marathon electric

"It's at 1/2 inch toe-in and tugging right and left bad my dad and wife won't even drive it."

You may want to insure your king pins, front wheel bearings, tie rods, as well as rack do not have excessive wear which can cause erratic driving. Could not find a 1991 electric service manual but here is the 2007 and newer gas version that may help. On E4 it calls for 1/8 of toe in. I could not find the camber setting in the manual which usually the top of the tire should lean out a little equal on both sides compared to the bottom of the tire.

manual..http://www.specialtycartz.com/pdf/ezgo_gas.pdf
chrisr32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

[quote=chrisr32;1620366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbuntu View Post
1991 marathon electric

"It's at 1/2 inch toe-in and tugging right and left bad my dad and wife won't even drive it."

You may want to insure your kingpins, tie rods as well as rack do not have excessive wear which can cause erratic driving. Could not find a 1991 electric service manual but here is the 2007 and newer gas version that may help. On E4 it calls for 1/8 of toe in. I could not find the camber setting in the manual which usually the top of the tire should lean out a little equal on both sides compared to the bottom of the tire.

manual..http://www.specialtycartz.com/pdf/ezgo_gas.pdf
Everything I have read says 1/8 toe-in also which is why I'm trying to fix it. I didn't find any wiggle or anything else when I was putting a lift kit on it

Old 05-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
chrisr32
Gone Wild

The difference of 1/8 to 1/2 in toe in should not cause such erratic steering. Is the steering erratic regardless of the surface? Do you have any pics from the front showing the front end stance and how the tires look? Was the steering always erratic or only after adding the lift kit and/or larger tires?
chrisr32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need to jack the front end up and put it on blocks. Then wiggle the front end and see where the "death wobble" is coming from.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr32 View Post
The difference of 1/8 to 1/2 in toe in should not cause such erratic steering. Is the steering erratic regardless of the surface? Do you have any pics from the front showing the front end stance and how the tires look? Was the steering always erratic or only after adding the lift kit and/or larger tires?
Usually it's a change in the surface on a paved road in a small town and the roads aren't flat, but it rides a lot better now. Got it fixed.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO