lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Battery indicator gauge and one more question

I bought my son and granddaughter a 2003 ezgo golf cart .
It is clean as new. I installed 6 new NAPA batteries in it . They were good enough for me and I didn't want to drive out of town to get better ones.

I am a ezgo gas man and know very little about electric carts but I can learn.

I am looking for some sort of battery charge indicator so they don't run it
below 50 %. Suggestions welcomed. Analog would be best I would think but will wait and see what the experts say.

I have read here the last few days on how to maintain these batteries and have warned my son. Who knows how that is going to be
Also the battery charger would not work unless I bumped it lightly on the floor. It then goes to charging.

This cart has been sitting for 3 years in a carport. Looking at the charger it might have had some moisture around it but it does work but you got to bang on it. Maybe a loose wire inside but probably won't be that lucky.

I will have to look at it again to see what brand but it did have EZGO on it. He lives about 15 miles from me but I did take a picture of it on my shop camera. I will look when I get to work and get more info.

He called me last night and said it would not charge. I told him what I did to make it charge and it worked. I told him to just charge it all night. I hope I told him right but I was tired and it was late.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery indicator gauge and one more question

Batteries are too expensive to leave their well being in the hands of a bad charger. Modern chargers do a better job of charging and maintaining batteries than the old chargers did. For this reason I suggest a new charger. Not the cheap flea bay jobs with insufficient amperage but, something like a Lester Summit and a cheap 2 wire in the dash voltmeter
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Thanks scottyb. That is the info I was looking for. I will call him and tell him what you said. THANKS
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I am looking for some sort of battery charge indicator so they don't run it below 50 %. Suggestions welcomed. Analog would be best I would think but will wait and see what the experts say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Batteries are too expensive to leave their well being in the hands of a bad charger. Modern chargers do a better job of charging and maintaining batteries than the old chargers did. For this reason I suggest a new charger. Not the cheap flea bay jobs with insufficient amperage but, something like a Lester Summit and a cheap 2 wire in the dash voltmeter
Don't go analog here. ScottyB sells a good digital volt meter. You want values to at least one decimal place. You can print out a state of charge chart, which show voltage vs, SOC. Many folks laminate that and tape it near the volt meter.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

I have an analog green/yellow/red meter you can have for the cost of shipping, but you really also want real numbers.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...arts-free.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We send the chart and info you need with every meter
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Mine is at least better for wifey than an LED bar chart/dB style meter. At least it's consistent, and darned near free.

Only AFTER you get a good meter, though.

Installation ideas here. I may even still have the plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3063.jpg (228.4 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I purchased the exact charger and voltmeter that ScottyB is talking about and it is great, had a few questions about the voltage that I was seeing with my new batteries and Lester returned my call and answered all of my questions. Great support from all involved.
Scotty B has great shipping and instructions with every order and will buy from him again.

You wont go wrong taking his advice.
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO