lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
That's what we're here for!

If you don't mind it turning off briefly while you change from forward to neutral, then no real rewiring is required. Just do what I suggested with the key switch green wire. If you do that, you can always finish the rewiring later, which isn't as daunting as it sounds. Have you done any electrical work at all? Cars, motorcycles or home? It's only a little different than cars/trucks/bikes, in that there is no negative ground to chassis.
To answer your question on electrical work yes right much through the years. I just have a hard time reading wiring diagrams. I have installed reducers on Club Car to me they were easy just hooked trigger wire to cold side of ing. switch. I will take my time and look at your instructions. Thanks for all your help.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober11 View Post
To answer your question on electrical work yes right much through the years. I just have a hard time reading wiring diagrams. I have installed reducers on Club Car to me they were easy just hooked trigger wire to cold side of ing. switch. I will take my time and look at your instructions. Thanks for all your help.
EDIT: I've marked up the rewiring so KSI is hot any time reed switch is bypassed or closed. This allows the KSI to switch a trigger. Not knowing KSI rating, I'd be careful about powering a reducer.

Does anyone know if a stock switch can take an extra 10 amps?

I haven't confirmed which wires can simply be moved and which ones need to be cut and spliced. Make sure you label them.

I'm attaching stock wiring for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- No A1 -Lo-Current traced.JPG (70.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New and improved series.jpg (130.1 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Do you still have the reed switch or has it been bypassed? If bypassed, how? Like attached?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch Bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes it still has the reed switch. it is not bypassed.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes it still has the reed switch. it is not bypassed.
See post #12. Also, you may want to carry a jumper wire in case the reed switch fails. I killed two. First one died fairly soon after I got it. I was dumb and replaced it, which died soon after that.

Another trouble area some series folks have is the four wire Molex connector located near FNR and controller/solenoid. It connects throttle MS and ITS to wiring harness. I finally cut the connector off and soldered and heat shrinked mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Molex.jpeg (254.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

. Here is a photo of f/r switch. If you can tell me again what to do. I have 2green wires one from ing.and one going into a harness. I just don’t want to hook up something wrong and let smoke out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

EDIT: Completely rewrote this to make it easier to follow. Final update 2:57 PM. Follow narrative below, as I think it's easier to understand the the words on the second wiring diagram.

Thanks, you made this very easy.

Hopefully the attached makes sense.

Disconnect light green wire - MS3 - from dark green wire - KSI. Disconnect the red wire from the reed switch to MS2.

Plug light green male spade connector to MS2, where the red reed switch wire was disconnected. This will connect MS3 to MS2. You will need to make up a green jumper wire with a two female spade connectors.

Attach red wire from reed switch to the dark green wire. This will make KSI hot any time reed switch is closed - charger not plugged in. You'll need a male to male jumper.

The blue wire will be where you connect your reducer trigger wire. It should have pack positive when the reed switch is closed - charger unplugged - and the key switch is on.

Let me know if this works the way you want, and I'll revise my drawing. I need to do it in Visio, but it's not installed at the moment. The main thing is that now you have a dark green connected to a red wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FNR.jpg (138.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New and improved series.jpg (130.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
EDIT: Completely rewrote this to make it easier to follow. Final update 2:57 PM.

Thanks, you made this very easy.

Hopefully the attached makes sense.

Disconnect light green wire - MS3 - from dark green wire - KSI. Disconnect the red wire from the reed switch to MS2.

Plug light green male spade connector to MS2, where the red reed switch wire was disconnected. This will connect MS3 to MS2. You will need to make up a green jumper wire with a two female spade connectors.

Attach red wire from reed switch to the dark green wire. This will make KSI hot any time reed switch is closed - charger not plugged in. You'll need a male to male jumper.

The blue wire will be where you connect your reducer trigger wire. It should have pack positive when the reed switch is closed - charger unplugged - and the key switch is on.

Let me know if this works the way you want, and I'll revise my drawing. I need to do it in Visio, but it's not installed at the moment. The main thing is that now you have a dark green connected to a red wire.
Thank you so much for all your help. It is working with the key now. I am only running a Led light kit with this reducer. Should not be a big amp draw on the key switch.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you so much for all your help. It is working with the key now. I am only running a Led light kit with this reducer. Should not be a big amp draw on the key switch.
If you have a trigger wire, the key switch will see the same load whether your reducer is outputting 1 amp or 30. That's why triggered is best.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok that is good to know if I decide to add a radio.

You know they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Yurtle I want to thank you again for helping me with this. Everybody on this form goes out of there way to help people. In this world and day in time people like you and all the others are few an far between.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO