lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
HunterCW
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 ezgo problems

I’m new to the site and new to golf cart ownership so forgive my ignorance. Today I bought a 2011 ezgo 36v. It has a small lift and slightly bigger tires. It has a switch to change it from low to high gear and a limited slip rear end. When I bought it I was told 3 batteries were original 3 were less than a month old. I test drove it and found it to be lacking on speed especially on hills (walking speed going up paved hills). The man I bought it from said it was likely due to the batteries, 3 new batteries later nothing changed. I read a few post on here which lead me to check the voltage on each battery 5 were 6.23 1 was 5.2 and the charger port showed 36.6. It also died rather quick we rode about an hour and it has 2 bars left on the battery meter. I appreciate any guidance.

Hunter
HunterCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 ezgo problems

Batteries are the heart of your cart, learn as much about care and maintenance as you can and they will give you years of service.

ScottyB has some great info about batteries on his site. Here is a battery voltage chart that you can use, but if you are only seeing 36.6 then your batteries need to be charged before you use it very much at all, you should never go below 36.3v in a 36v cart.

That one battery is very low and needs charging, maybe by itself to see if it will recover.

The battery dates should be able to be found on the Pos battery post, it will be numbers and letters. Numbers will signify what year and letter will tell what week of that year they were produced. It really means nothing unless you know how the batteries were taken care of before you had them.

I'm sure that you will get more knowledgeable feedback with better answers but this is a start.

ScottyB also sells an good voltage meter that you can put on your cart then you will not have to rely on the bar meter and guess what the voltage is.
Attached Images
File Type: png f17d847390b70bc5ed8d0d3c34acafff.png (183.0 KB, 0 views)
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:00 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Hunter, you need to attempt to get that one battery voltage up.....if you have a regular battery charger that will charge a 6v battery, put the charger on that one battery, if you don't, but have a 12v charger, charge across that battery and the one beside it so you are charging 12v. after you have done that, let the batteries rest for about 12 hours and check that suspect battery again. if its still low, or discharges faster than the rest, you have one bad battery.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Do you have the PO's paperwork to get it swapped under warranty? You said it's under a month old. If it's reading that at rest, it could be dropping a lot under load.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
HunterCW
Not Yet Wild

I charged them over night all batteries are now at 6.41 - 6.47 with the charging port at 38.7
Old 06-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterCW View Post
I charged them over night all batteries are now at 6.41 - 6.47 with the charging port at 38.7
if that is the total pack voltage 12 hours after the complete charge.....that is where they should be. have you since taken the cart out for a spin to see how it performs? and if you have a DVM you could connect it to one of the other batteries to see what it drops to under load then connect it up to that suspect battery and see if it drops more than the others under load.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
HunterCW
Not Yet Wild

Under load each battery dropped to 6.24
Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls View Post
ScottyB also sells an good voltage meter that you can put on your cart then you will not have to rely on the bar meter and guess what the voltage is.
Quote:
Under load each battery dropped to 6.24
That's good news, but hard to believe every battery was the same to the hundredth. Does it still die fairly quickly, or are you concerned about the LED bar graph voltage meter? I'd ignore that and follow Dwalls' advice.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
HunterCW
Not Yet Wild

I was looking at the bar meter, where do I find the volt meter from Scotty B? I guess my number one concern is how it slows to a walk pace going up hills. I would bet it won’t run faster than 10 mph on flat ground but haven’t checked it.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I was looking at the bar meter, where do I find the volt meter from Scotty B? I guess my number one concern is how it slows to a walk pace going up hills. I would bet it won’t run faster than 10 mph on flat ground but haven’t checked it.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO