lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #1
CPAT22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New to me ,2004 txt,where to start

Hey all.
I bought my first cart and am wondering where to start somewhat.
The cart has all of its major components,except a couple. Needs batteries and cables, and a battery tray, first.
It had a cargo box on the back and I already removed it.
It was an RV Park maintenance cart.
Someone wired in a RV type receptacle for charging so I will swap that out also.
I will give it a good cleaning and replace the battery tray first. I will eventually add a lift and all terrain tires,controller ,solenoid,heavy cables through Scotty(I found his website before getting here. Great info!) I will most likely leave it at 36V for now, but when I buy the controller etc, I will get one that allows a 48V upgrade at some point. Cart will mainly be used at my hunting lease with mild hills/mud etc.
The controller looks stock but pretty new,given the carts condition,when I removed the cover .

So,now the questions :
Should I use some baking soda on the frame etc and do some cleaning /checking around for rust? (Of course I’m assuming YES to this)

Best drop in battery tray ? Are the ones on eBay,Amazon ok ?

Any way to check the original controller and motor without power(batteries)?
Can you ohm the motor windings,maybe ?

I guess I should check/change the diff fluid ?
Is it just gear oil ?
CPAT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
CPAT22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to me ,2004 txt,where to start

Oh ,and will need a charger too. My son in law fell into a bunch of Club Car Chargers and I may be able to get one for free. Will any 36 volt charger work on any type cart,provided I change out the connectors to match ?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
CPAT22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

anyone out there ??
Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Club car chargers from early 2014 and earlier are just power supplies and need the OBC in the cart to function. Not compatible with EZGO. Club Car chargers mid 2014 and later (E.R.I.C.) might be OK.

Diff fluid is 10 ounces of 30wt oil specified by owners manual. Many people use gear oil and/or synthetic. 80-90 wt gear oil is about the same viscosity as 30wt oil as I recall.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAT22 View Post
Hey all.
I bought my first cart and am wondering where to start somewhat.
The cart has all of its major components, except a couple. Needs batteries and cables, and a battery tray, first.
It had a cargo box on the back and I already removed it.
It was an RV Park maintenance cart.
Sounds very similar to my project cart: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ortan-joe.html

Mine came from a KOA. But, they took the cargo box off the back. It is a 2004 EZGO TXT PDS. But, it won't be that once I am done with it.

You didn't mention what model of TXT you have. PDS or Series drive? That matters for some of the upgrades you are considering and what you want to do.

Quote:
I will give it a good cleaning and replace the battery tray first.
Are you sure you need to change the battery tray? My 2004 came from a campground in Canada, spent its winter probably sitting in snow and I was able to sand down the tray and paint it. It didn't need to be changed. It had lots of weight to it.

Quote:
I will eventually add a lift and all terrain tires,controller,solenoid,heavy cables through Scotty(I found his website before getting here. Great info!)
Depending on what cart you have PDS or Series you may be able to do your upgrades in a different order.

Quote:
I will most likely leave it at 36V for now, but when I buy the controller etc, I will get one that allows a 48V upgrade at some point.
Most aftermarket controllers can support 36v, 48v and 72v. What you need to make sure you do is when you get the solenoid to get a 48v one. MJZ-400 48v. You can run 36v setup on a 48v solenoid. But, you can't run 48v on a 36v solenoid.

Quote:
Cart will mainly be used at my hunting lease with mild hills/mud etc.
You will require torque. More than you think. I have a 600amp controller and a high torque motor for similar use. My stock controller and motor just burned up when I put the big wheels on it.

Quote:
So,now the questions :

Should I use some baking soda on the frame etc and do some cleaning /checking around for rust? (Of course I’m assuming YES to this)
Neutralize any acid, remove rust where it exists and use a good anti-rust paint. Might as well fix what you can and stop any additional rust from forming.

Quote:
Best drop in battery tray ? Are the ones on eBay,Amazon ok ?
I would recommend you check your tray. Often people rush out to replace them because they see surface rust from acid etc... Only to find out that there is a lot of metal and a new tray wasn't necessary. I just restored the tray on the 2004. It looked horrible but, once cleaned up and painted... Its good for another 15 years I say. :)

Quote:
Any way to check the original controller and motor without power(batteries)?
Asked this question a week or so ago... There really isn't an easy way to do it. If you don't have batteries in that cart you should seriously consider going 48v. You can go 36v and then add 2 more 6vs into the pack. You have to put one under the driver side seat and one in the bag well in the back. Your battery tray can hold 6x8v batteries.

But, you should upgrade the controller if you go 48v probably. (Smarter people will correct me if I am wrong.) The stock PDS motor, if in good condition, is pretty good.

You don't need to change the "d" style plug on your cart either. Just get a 48v charger and change the plug end to the "d" style one. Just make sure you never use a 36v charger on your cart. :) Or your 48v on a 36v cart.

Cheers,
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #6
CPAT22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Kernal !
Old 06-25-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
CPAT22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Impaled,
I forgot to add it IS a Series cart. Thank you for the info.
The battery tray was complete trash.Horrible trash. I had to cut off the front two bolts because they were mostly gone , as was most of the angle iron.
I will consider the 48 volt upgrade for sure. And like you said, I will buy the stuff that is compatible anyway to get that head start. I guess that empty space below the driver seat is a great place for an extra battery.I pulled the rear body off yesterday and the frame is in good shape, so thats a help. will wire wheel what needs touched up and get it done. I ordered some HD springs and a new battery tray last night so will be installing them over the weekend or next week.
Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Too bad about the tray... They are not cheap to replace. Series carts are good. Cheaper to deal with generally.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hey all.
Needs batteries and cables, and a battery tray, first.

I will eventually add a lift and all terrain tires,controller ,solenoid,heavy cables through Scotty
If you want to go 48v you likely ought to do that now, the $ you'll spend on an extra set of batteries is pretty stout. The tray you ordered will hold six 8v batteries but six 8v use different heavy cables than six 6v due to where the posts are on the batteries.

Also, be careful on the tires. As you know going with larger tires changes your final drive ratio giving you more speed at the cost of torque. And going with low pressure tires (psi in the teens or less) adds a lot more rolling resistance to your cart.

If you are getting batteries and cables, then the $ for those parts are (basically) the same for 36v or 48v. The extra $ for 48v comes in the controller, solenoid and charger. Good luck!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #10
CPAT22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bronsonj for the info!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO