lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Kennethbigboss
Not Yet Wild

Default 02 TXT Barely Moves

Okay guys I’m new to this forum and will try to get right to the point! The cart is a 36v ezgo 2002 txt, ran beautifully for my in-laws, who I got it for so they can tool around the neighborhood. Anyways, the cart just all of a sudden just stopped going! It will try to go forward and reverse but it shutters and barely moves. Also, there’s a grinding like noise coming from underneath it. The batteries were a little low on water, which I added to them and always kept it plugged up everyday. It has a battery meter on it as well and shows that they’re full. The other day I lifted the rear tires off the ground placed them on jack stands and pushed the accelerator down and the tires took off! In both forward and reverse, no grinding noise whatsoever, now I’m really confused? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Semper Fi!
Gunny
Kennethbigboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 02 TXT Barely Moves

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

Hey Gunny, use the link above to tell which drive type the cart is.

Also, do you have a dmm? I know you said the charge meter says the batteries are full, but a no go problem is a potential battery issue, so it’s best to start with verifying that they are good. Batteries can show fully charged but not have enough in them to make the cart go. 12-24 hours after they come off the charger will get you an accurate reading. The total pack voltage along with the voltage of each battery is needed. Then do the same thing while trying to drive the cart.

Also check that you don’t have any corroded or loose cables.

Maybe the grinding noise is actually your problem. I don’t know enough to give you good ideas about what to check for that, but I could see something being an issue only when there’s a load on the system. Either way, the battery check is still useful.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You mention shutter and grinding noise from underneath.
Does grinding noise continue as long as go pedal is held down?
Possible stripped brake drum spline 🤔

Above mentioned voltage checks will help where to look next.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #4
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethbigboss View Post
...the cart just all of a sudden just stopped going! It will try to go forward and reverse but it shutters and barely moves.
Could be a lot of issues:

1. The spline from the motor to the differential could be stripped.
2. The bearings could be gone.
3. Hubs could be stripped.
4. Guts of the differential could be stripped.
5. The motor bearing could be toast.
6. Anything else not included in this list...

Quote:
Also, there’s a grinding like noise coming from underneath it.
Grinding generally means a mechanical issue. Hopefully, it is not #1. Does the motor sound like it is spinning freely but, not driving the wheels?

Quote:
The other day I lifted the rear tires off the ground placed them on jack stands and pushed the accelerator down and the tires took off! In both forward and reverse, no grinding noise whatsoever...
Sounds like a stripped hub possibly. If you switch from R to F (or F to R) too fast you can strip them. The axle is much stronger material than the hubs they go into. Or of you are rolling in a direction and have the cart set to the opposite and gun it. The hubs could strip easily.

Just based on the age of the cart I wouldn't be surprised if it is the wheel bearings. I just had to deal with this on an axle. Just finished doing the thing tonight. Bad bearings grind and locked up one of the axles so only one wheel was spinning. All fixed now.

When no presure is applied to the wheels they often spin fine with bad bearings. Also, no resistance on the wheels means a stripped hub may catch with whatever it has left and spin the tires.

Grinding noise coming from the differential or the wheels? Hopefully, it is not from the motor or the differential. Your cart's differential oil probably has not been done in a while. If the differential was empty and you were driving it around you could have messed up the gears. Hard to say though.

Cheers,
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:20 AM   #5
Kennethbigboss
Not Yet Wild

WOW, got my homework assignment guys! Can’t thank you enough for all the info! I will make sure to post what the problem was, again, many thanks!
Semper Fi
Gunny
Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
Kennethbigboss
Not Yet Wild

Okay guys, Gunny followed orders as you commanded! And I’m happy to say, PROBLEM SOLVED! I want to personally thank you each of you guys that took time to reply to cry for help! Turns out I had one bad battery causing all the headaches. Took it to one shop in Lawrenceville, Ga who was going to charge me almost $1000 for all new batteries, when they knew it was only one bad battery! Mind you, this was before I knew what the issue even was. They just said let’s slap a new set in it, probably bad anyway and we’ll go from there. Again, many many thanks guys!
God Bless and Semper Fi

Gunny
USMC
Old 07-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Okay guys, Gunny followed orders as you commanded! And I’m happy to say, PROBLEM SOLVED! I want to personally thank you each of you guys that took time to reply to cry for help! Turns out I had one bad battery causing all the headaches. Took it to one shop in Lawrenceville, Ga who was going to charge me almost $1000 for all new batteries, when they knew it was only one bad battery! Mind you, this was before I knew what the issue even was. They just said let’s slap a new set in it, probably bad anyway and we’ll go from there. Again, many many thanks guys!
God Bless and Semper Fi

Gunny
USMC
Awesome - I was just gonna post that. Many years ago I had this problem. I tore the axles out, the motor out, the drive shaft coupler out.....Nothing Before somebody told me what to look for.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Great you got it running again.
wondering as to how grinding noise was related to the bad battery.
Fact that neglected batteries pointed to a battery problem which you resolved. What was cause of grinding noise?
Thanks ��
Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Solenoid chatters ( in and out) so darn fast it sounds like a grinding noise.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Makes sense
Thanks Scotty 👍
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO