lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
ajustaboards
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: textron charger 26984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie1277 View Post
I have a EZ Go Charger model 26984 and when we plug the charger in to the golf cart the needle pegs out and it trips the 50 AMP thermal overload. We've installed all new cables and the batteries seem to be good. What could be the problem?
I have one doing the EXACT same thing, did you find out what was wrong, how to fix??

thanks
ajustaboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

disconnect the diodes and check for shorts
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdeb View Post
what is the mov1 and mov2 ? how do you test them ??????
MOV means Movistor. This is basically used to shunt (short) out over voltages (lighting strikes). DO NO SHORT them out. They are rated in Joules of energy that they can dissipate in an over voltage condition. If the lead is blown away from the body, you had a lighting strike, and it had more joules of energy than the device could dissipate. You can buy replacements at Radio Shack. If they blew, you most likely have other components bad from the strike.
bonduranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonduranth View Post
MOV means Movistor. This is basically used to shunt (short) out over voltages (lighting strikes). DO NO SHORT them out. They are rated in Joules of energy that they can dissipate in an over voltage condition. If the lead is blown away from the body, you had a lighting strike, and it had more joules of energy than the device could dissipate. You can buy replacements at Radio Shack. If they blew, you most likely have other components bad from the strike.
MOV= Metal Oxide Varistor
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
pondojohnny
Not Yet Wild

I have a Textron III charger that has twice boiled the water in my batteries away. How does this charger know when the batteries are charged? Or do I need new batteries?
pondojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondojohnny View Post
1. I have a Textron III charger that has twice boiled the water in my batteries away.
2. How does this charger know when the batteries are charged?
3. Or do I need new batteries?
Welcome to BGW!

I suspect you have a Total Charge III made by Textron (EZGO), and this old thread is about a different charger, so a new thread probably should have been started, but to answer your questions.

1. Gassing (appears to be boiling, but isn't 212 degrees or higher) is a normal occurrence during charging that is caused by electrolysis of the water in the electrolyte. The electrolyte level should be checked at least monthly. Add distilled water only. (Tap water will kill batteries)

2. It senses the on-charge voltage and shuts off charger when it climbs into the 44-46 voltage range for a 36V battery pack.
If the battery voltage sensing circuit fails to see a voltage in the 44-46 volt range, a backup timer shuts off charger after 16 hours.

3. If the plates were exposed to air, or the batteries have been allow to sit in a discharged or partially discharged state for any significant length of time, they may need to be replaced. The questions are, how much charge will they accept/hold, how is the cart performing and what is the run time.

-------------

If you don't have a DMM, you need one. An inexpensive one will suffice.

Here is a chart that shows State of Charge vs terminal voltage.
The voltages are taken 12 hours after charger automatically turns off.

Measure the individual battery voltages as well as the pack voltage.
A fully charged pack will be about 38.2V and each battery will be about 6.37V
All the individual battery voltages should be within about 0.1V of each other.

Drive cart until SoC is down to about 70% and measure individual voltages again. (After they rest about 15 minutes.)
They should still be within about 0.1V of each other.

The trick to battery longevity is keeping them watered and clean and as fully charged as possible or practical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #17
muffinhill
Not Yet Wild

my ezgo charger textron total charge , does not trickle down. I removed the cover and the two wires that hooked to relay were jumped together. when i removed the jumper and hooked back to the relay, the charger started about 18 ( the batteries are fully charged) ran about 2 minutes , amp meter went to 15 and about 30 seconds the charger shut off.
Is this charger with the timer supposed to trickle down and shut off or timer shut off only or
reach certain voltage in batteries and shut off?
muffinhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinhill View Post
my ezgo charger textron total charge , does not trickle down. I removed the cover and the two wires that hooked to relay were jumped together. when i removed the jumper and hooked back to the relay, the charger started about 18 ( the batteries are fully charged) ran about 2 minutes , amp meter went to 15 and about 30 seconds the charger shut off.
Is this charger with the timer supposed to trickle down and shut off or timer shut off only or
reach certain voltage in batteries and shut off?
EZGO/Textron produced several chargers they named "Total Charge". Since you say it has a relay that can be bypassed and a timer, you probable have the one shown in the attached picture.

When working normally, it shuts off when the On-Charge voltage reaches 45V +/- 1V or when the 12 hour elapsed time/safety timer times out if the voltage never climbs to the shutoff voltage. The amps start at about 18A and decrease to 5A-7A as the On-Charge voltage increases.

It's probably only staying on for a few minutes because the battery is close to being fully charged. Drive the cart around some to lower the SoC down a bit and try observing again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC-I Model 20484.jpg (302.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO