lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
pymoo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1997 EZ-GO TXT DCS cart no go!

I am a new cart owner with a 1997 TXT DCS cart (according to the serial number look up) that suddenly quit working over the weekend.

Normally, when I turn the key on and put the FNR switch to reverse, the buzzer sounds, which is usually my first sign of life. Now it makes no sound, and of course, does not move.

From searching / reading other posts, here is what I've measured so far:
  • Battery voltage is 38.8 (as of yesterday)
  • Voltage from + battery to large solenoid stud on battery side is 38.8 (as of yesterday)
  • I removed the reed switch in the battery receptacle in case that was the issue, but it did not help. The red wire coming out of the charging receptacle has power.
  • I tested both microswitches on the FNR switch and they appear to be working (by testing continuity)
  • I tested continuity on the ignition switch and it seems to be working on/off.
  • From the battery side of the solenoid, there is 38.3 volts (as of today) between the large stud and each small stud on the solenoid with the key off. There is no voltage between these with the key on.
  • There is NO click from the solenoid when stepping on the pedal.

I am beginning to question whether the solenoid (or foot pedal switch) are defective. What is the best way to test these? Would a defective solenoid also prevent the reverse buzzer from sounding when the key is turned on and the FNR switch is in reverse?

I've been searching other posts, but have not yet found the answers. I appreciate any advice you can offer!!!
pymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1997 EZ-GO TXT DCS cart no go!

Check the solenoid activation. With key on, cart in gear, peddle depressed, is there 36v at the 2 small solenoid terminals? One is pos and one is neg. you need 36v right there to actuate the solenoid. If no ~ look to the peddle box micro....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
pymoo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I tested it- key on, in gear, peddle down, and there is no voltage across the two small studs. How should I test the pedal box micro? Thanks!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

continuity, it is a simple on/off switch
Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
pymoo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The pedal switch appears to be working. I crawled underneath, but not finding an easy place to test, I went to where the 4 wires from the pedal box go up to the controller area. Unhooking a connector, I tested for continuity across all four wires, and found steady on/off continuity between the green and red wires when the pedal was depressed and released.

I still think I may be missing something further upstream, since the reverse buzzer no longer sounds when the key is on and the FNR switch is placed in reverse. (?) On the other hand, the solenoid is definitely not kicking on either.

I have the tow/run switch is in the "run" position while testing...
Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are getting no reverse buzzer (and you usually do get one), the first place to check is the Reed Switch located inside the charger plug recpticle. seperate the blade connectors and test for voltage coming out of the small red (or white) wire coming out of the housing. You should see full pack voltage.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

He said he tested the reed switch?
The peddle box is accessible from under the floor mat. Remove the rocker plate. Lift the mat. Open the box
Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
pymoo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

rabbitreborn- There is full power coming out of the charging receptacle. I do normally get a reverse buzzer when the key is on, reverse selected on the switch with no pedal engagement. Currently, there is no sound and no signs of life...

scottyb- I found the pedal box beneath the mat (Doh!).

The on/off is working with a continuity test on red / green wires, however there is no voltage across the black/white wires at any pedal position. I assume there should be voltage here?

I rechecked the micro-switches on the FNR lever and they both work on/off. There is full voltage to each going in. Tracing the wires, it seems the power for the reverse buzzer comes from the controller, and obviously it is not getting any power when reverse is selected and the key is on.

Here are a couple pictures of the power exiting the charging receptacle and the pedal switch:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is there voltage on the red/green wires at the pedal box?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Is there voltage on the red/green wires at the pedal box?
Continuity on the switch is one thing 36v on he red and green wires at the M/S is another question yet to be answered ....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO