lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
spanwood48
Not Yet Wild

Default Electrical problems withJ1296

We bought a used EZ go electric about 3 yrs ago. Batteries sem to charge well. Driving for the first time this year sveral days ago. When I came to a stop sign the cart motor suddenly died, and would not move the cart again. It has a small amount of power, but will only move the cart inches at a time. We towed it home(2-3 blocks......was this a mistake?), and the batteries were recharged, even tho not showing drained when the charger was connected. Still will not move. Any ideas??
spanwood48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Electrical problems withJ1296

J1296 Manufacture code indicates a 1996 series cart. No harm in towing it. Sounds like battery problems. Can you post battery voltage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
spanwood48
Not Yet Wild

I will check voltage in the next several days.

Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
spanwood48
Not Yet Wild

The batteries all have sufficient water, although they were a bit low when I first checked them. I don't know that the top of plates were exposed, but they were close. The batteries were charged 3-4 times over the course of the Illinois winter. All battery connections are tight. The cart is stored in the unheated, attached garage. Isolating each battery by disconnecting both cables, 5 of them tested at 14 V DC, while the 6th tested at 10 V. The cart shudders when pressing the accelerator, in either forward or reverse. It ran at full speed until I reached a stop sign, then would go no further. Thanks for any input!

Doug
Old 04-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The cart has six 6 volt batteries. Are you certain of your readings? 100% charged and settled is 6.37 volts. Even fresh off the charger 14v is high for a 12v battery?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
spanwood48
Not Yet Wild

OK, I guess I misread the meter.....it has multiple scales, and I thought the batteries were 12V. It appears taht one battery ahs 4.5V, and the remainder about 7. Unfortunately, it's possible that I'm misreading the meter. I checked on the lowest scale(10), and the needle goes just under halfway for one, and to +or - 7 for the remainder.

Again, Thanks!

Doug
Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You should look into a newer digital meter, they are great. readings like 4.65 volts.... anyway that 4v battery is shot. Likely it has got a short in one cell, cell dropped out.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
spanwood48
Not Yet Wild

So I take it that if one battery is bad, it will not run??
Old 04-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanwood48 View Post
So I take it that if one battery is bad, it will not run??
Correct,if the battery fails open circuit or high resistance. Since the batteries are connected in series,this battery will not let the current to complete the circuit.

Now for example if this battery would fail shorted (internally) then it would still allow current flow,it just wouldn't contribute to the pack voltage so the cart would run weak.
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
J1296 Manufacture code indicates a 1996 series cart. No harm in towing it. Sounds like battery problems. Can you post battery voltage.
You're good. How do you know by the code it is not a DCS?
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO