lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Winter storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullBarry View Post
With the negative cable disconnected they will not self discharge and will hold the charge at about 80% over the winter.
IF they don't discharge, where does your theoretical 20% go?!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not true. The batteries will self discharge - rate varies depending on age and leakage paths. They should be charged once a month to keep them healthy
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Refer to pages 16 & 17.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJ...UsersGuide.pdf

..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al210 View Post
We keep our cart at a campground and will be closing up for the winter in mid October.

I can't find any info on storing a cart for the winter. I have a cover for it but it will stay at the campground all winter. The power there will be turned off. Is there anything I should do? Is it ok to just charge the batteries and just leave them in?
Ideally you would have power at the campground so you could leave the charger plugged in and the batteries would stay topped off. That is, if your charger is automatic. If there is no power at all, you really need to either go to the campground and check on the cart once a month, or take the cart home with you for the winter...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I know this isn't what you had in mind, but could taking it to a storage facility with power be an option? Boats are more common, but do storage units have power? If so, you could buy a DPI charger, or another one that goes into float mode. Most "automatic" chargers don't keep a battery pack topped off.

Failing that, could you maybe let someone go camping for free monthly with a generator and charger?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you don't have a generator, you could use a 12 volt to 120 volt inverter to power the charger from your car. You could use alligator clips to avoid overloading the cigarette lighter plug. I have several that could easily power a charger with the car running.

Of course with the price a gasoline, a generator would probably pay for itself, vs. running the car long enough to top the buggy batteries off.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One final solution might be to put solar panels on the roof, assuming it's outside. As long as you only have to overcome the self discharge rate, it might work. You'd only have to worry about snow covering the panels.

I believe Crash has a solar setup. Maybe he could post a link.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well as I mentioned before......if I didn't have a way to bring the cart home or a place to store it at home, I am sure you would have enough space for the batteries. bring them home, buy yourself a second charge receptacle for the cart.....then hook up the batteries at home like they were in the cart and plug in the charger and you are ready to rock and roll!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
NoBullBarry
Not Yet Wild

I do this all the time. With the negative cable disconnected, there is no path to discharge. And also , when you do this, the cables all stay nice and clean.
NoBullBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullBarry View Post
I do this all the time. With the negative cable disconnected, there is no path to discharge. And also , when you do this, the cables all stay nice and clean.
I'm not arguing with you, & I am sure that "you do it all the time", but you are incorrect. A lead-acid battery will slowly discharge, sitting on a shelf, with absolutely nothing hooked to it. It's the nature of the beast.
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO