lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Nixsrs93
Not Yet Wild

Talking Stalls on hills, Help! (2004 Club Car IQ)

2004 Club Car 48volt DS IQ cart that stalls and will stop completely on a steep hill.

6 new batteries this week, I got the cart in a home purchase so I don't know everything that has been done to it. It has been lifted with a jakes lift, it has larger off-road style tires on it. It goes very vast on flat ground it just will not tolerate a hill. The tech where I bought the batts said the issue is a high speed low torque motor was installed by the previous owner.

I can't really use the cart as is on my land due to hills......can you all point me to how I can rectify this situation? Some internet reading suggest I may need a upgraded controller or an upgraded motor?

Thanks,
Nxsrs93
Nixsrs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stalls on hills, Help! (2004 Club Car IQ)

. . . welcome to BGW . . . new batteries are only about 75% when you buy them . . . they need to be "broke in" and brought up to max . . . read thru this thread:

Everything to do with Batteries

. . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well if the batteries are new fully charged and your getting roughly 51 volts across the pack after charging we can skip that general line of question and go to the next.

What size are the battery cables? If they are still the stock size # 6 they will be a bottle neck and cost you some torque; you need least # 4 cables and better yet # 2 cables so as to be able to deliver gobs of amps to your motor for hill climbing.

Next you need to crawl under and get us the motor info and while your down there you just as soon copy down all the controller info too as that is likely where a lot of your limit is coming from.

As a reference my cart with new bats and big cables as well as a high speed motor did not do well and lost speed on the mildly steep roads in our hood and would flat stall out on the steeper ones too. Installed a new double sized controller and solenoid and it now does very nicely in all situations I can encounter.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Nixsrs93
Not Yet Wild

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I will read through the battery break in info and get the motor / controller sizes today. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Nixsrs93
Old 10-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Nixsrs93
Not Yet Wild

Ok I ready through the battery break in procedure, and will certainly do that.

Based on what I am reading I need a 2 gage wire set. Where do most of you buy those? Buy wire and make with connectors or buy pre-made?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixsrs93 View Post
Based on what I am reading I need a 2 gage wire set. Where do most of you buy those? Buy wire and make with connectors or buy pre-made?
Both.... Scotty B a site sponsor here sells great pre-built kits. While many people prefer to roll their own and buy welding cable and solder lugs either locally or via the net such as www.DelCity.net
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Nixsrs93
Not Yet Wild

Guys,

Where on the motor is the ID info? I have been under the cart and don't see any id plate on it.

Controller also.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Underneath the sweater basket, there should be an access panel. remove the two screws and take the panel off. There will be a "firewall" with the OBC on the left and an environmental protection cover straight ahead with some wires running under it. Remove the two bolts and take the protection cover off. The controller is under there. You should be able to see the motor label through the access panel as well
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car