lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Blanko
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Alltrax controller - CC precedent - very annoying

Guys I guess I'm more of a voyeur on this site. Have been for years and post very seldom. I get much knowledge for which I am very thankful.

However I felt compelled to write on the subject of controller upgrade choices for a CC Precedent. Thought I would start a little debate.

I have a 2004 CC IQ Precedent. I've had a PQ a Bandit and upgraded cables for around 2 years. I live on a hilly golf course and decide to take the plunge and get a higher amp controller. So this month I upgraded my stock controller to an Alltrax DCX 400. Why Alltrax - well based on what I would call the anecdotal consensus on this forum. No statistics just feel more people recommend them than not. Even Precedent owners.

Now having paid some $400+ and installed the controller I find the experience to be very poor - extremely jerky start - re-programming means taking apart the "engine" to get at it and even with anemic settings (which negate the reason to get one) on the controller - still some jerking. So I come back on here to find that this is a common problem with the main cause that the Precedents poor little Mcor doesn't like Alltrax. Recommendations from most people are to change the Mcor! Wish I had read in more detail what getting and Alltrax meant. So now I have to spend another $1-200 to fix what Ived started.

I now feel I should just return the Alltrax and get a Curtis. Why spend more money to make it work. Only voice on here I can find who really objects to Alltrax is Tahoe Dawg. Anyone else? Has no one told Alltrax to fix this or at least provide a Mcor or whatever is needed to make their equipment work properly? What should I do?

Thanks

Btw. Love this site
Blanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax controller - CC precedent - very annoying

The simple answer: Curtis controllers designed to work on Club Cars will accommodate typical variances of the MCOR.

Alltrax makes popular after market controllers and since actual users generally recommend them, we have to assume they usually work well.

I think the issue is with that typical variance aspect of the MCOR. The MCOR has never been a 5k-0 three wire potentiometer. Is more like a 1k-7k, but it can vary depending on age and other external factors.

I think the different throttle files you download and install deal with the "dead band" on the beginning of the throttle. If the controller was expecting less than 200Ω at the time the pedal switch closes and instead it sees 1kΩ, that means it would already be in partial throttle and it would take off a lot faster.

What would be great is if one of our sponsors that has a good relationship with Alltrax (or Alltrax themselves since they are members of this forum) would just disclose the parameters for which each "program file" was designed.

That means You would simply have to measure your actual MCOR range, lets say 1.3kΩ to 7.8kΩ and match against the best option they offer. You could also measure Your MCOR before ordering the controller as some of the sponsors can send you already programmed for Your specific MCOR and it would be a frustration free plug and play.

If it has nothing to do with the "dead band", it would be nice to know what exactly is the difference between the files.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your MCOR is worn and it is no longer providing a true signal. I had the same 'problem' with my 2004 Precedent. I called Tahoe and had an original MCOR sent. It was a 30 minute install done from above the floor. After the MCOR replacement the cart works as expected without any reprogramming.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

We understand the issue is the MCOR variance, but why is it that it works well with the Curtis controller?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
We understand the issue is the MCOR variance, but why is it that it works well with the Curtis controller?
. . . Curtis probably more forgiving in the firmware/software . . ???
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Blanko
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Your MCOR is worn and it is no longer providing a true signal. I had the same 'problem' with my 2004 Precedent. I called Tahoe and had an original MCOR sent. It was a 30 minute install done from above the floor. After the MCOR replacement the cart works as expected without any reprogramming.

Thanks. Maybe so but seems it will work ok with Curtis or GE controller but not Alltrax. Now I have to decide whether I want to stump another couple of bills for a MCOR - just because the Alltrax cant handle its moods.
Blanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanko View Post
Thanks. Maybe so but seems it will work ok with Curtis or GE controller but not Alltrax. Now I have to decide whether I want to stump another couple of bills for a MCOR - just because the Alltrax cant handle its moods.
I see them for $149 on eBay now. You may find it for less if you look harder than I did.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The simple answer: Curtis controllers designed to work on Club Cars will accommodate typical variances of the MCOR.

Alltrax makes popular after market controllers and since actual users generally recommend them, we have to assume they usually work well.

I think the issue is with that typical variance aspect of the MCOR. The MCOR has never been a 5k-0 three wire potentiometer. Is more like a 1k-7k, but it can vary depending on age and other external factors.

I think the different throttle files you download and install deal with the "dead band" on the beginning of the throttle. If the controller was expecting less than 200Ω at the time the pedal switch closes and instead it sees 1kΩ, that means it would already be in partial throttle and it would take off a lot faster.

What would be great is if one of our sponsors that has a good relationship with Alltrax (or Alltrax themselves since they are members of this forum) would just disclose the parameters for which each "program file" was designed.

That means You would simply have to measure your actual MCOR range, lets say 1.3kΩ to 7.8kΩ and match against the best option they offer. You could also measure Your MCOR before ordering the controller as some of the sponsors can send you already programmed for Your specific MCOR and it would be a frustration free plug and play.

If it has nothing to do with the "dead band", it would be nice to know what exactly is the difference between the files.
Blanco I went through this in my 2008, Last June I swapped it for a curtis. What is said above is absolutely correct, also as ScottyB said is true also a new MCOR would've made it work fine. The Curtis is very forgiving but it is still working great today with the original MCOR.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...sue-maybe.html
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This throttle problem only occurs in a small percentage of carts. Typically these carts exhibit a worn throttle device prior to the install such as 1st half of the peddle travel does not start the cart moving or cart starts suddenly.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
This throttle problem only occurs in a small percentage of carts. Typically these carts exhibit a worn throttle device prior to the install such as 1st half of the pedal travel does not start the cart moving or cart starts suddenly.
When I let my cart sit a while it does happen at times, as I use it this issue goes away, (sometimes when this happens I pump the pedal a few times and she is up and running smooth again). I know eventually I'll need to replace the MCOR. Just like my F/R switch, when it sits a few weeks It won't work correctly, I have to go back and forth on the switch a few times before it makes contact, these electrical switches are prone to heat wear and any moisture/high humidity like it is here.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car