lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
Handy Randy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 99 e z go I thank

I am working on a 99 EZ GO with small f&r switch wright behind handle. not sure what to call it. first problem was it would not back up replaced

reversed switch and it started backing up then stoped and now wont go foward or reverse if i turn key on step an pedal an solenoid clicks once and wont click again till i turn key off and back on. I have put on new control box and solenoid and no change same problem I an wondering if if could be motor. not sure how to test motor help please
Handy Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 e z go I thank

Sounds like a DCS drive system. Does the F/R switch look like either of the ones attached below and is there a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover?

Once we figure out if it is a Series or DCS drive, we can troubleshoot it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early DCS F-R with diode-.jpg (195.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCS Direction selector-exploded view.JPG (56.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Handy Randy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Randy View Post
I am working on a 99 EZ GO with small f&r switch wright behind handle. not sure what to call it. first problem was it would not back up replaced

reversed switch and it started backing up then stoped and now wont go foward or reverse if i turn key on step an pedal an solenoid clicks once and wont click again till i turn key off and back on. I have put on new control box and solenoid and no change same problem I an wondering if if could be motor. not sure how to test motor help please
sorry it has taken me so long to get back.however the cart is a ez go 97 with dcs system older version. someone had replaced solenoid prior and i think the diode was on backward. I replaced the controller and when i turn tow switch on i heard a spark.I was told by local shop to take off the diode. I did and cart moved F & B two times then it would only move backward. What do you guys think I need to do now
Old 03-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you got a spark when the Run/Tow was flipped from Tow to Run, the reed switch, the keyswitch, the F/R switch, the Run/Tow switch and/or the controller and any of the wires connecting them together, could have been taken out. (See attach schematic)

Since it did move a couple of times after the sparking incident, I suspect the controller is gone.

With Run/Tow in Run, Keyswitch ON and F/R in either F or R, what is the voltage on the solenoid's small terminals?
(Should be pack voltage on both until pedal is pushed, then one of them drops to Zero.)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Handy Randy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

the spark i did not see but sounded like it came from controller I will get new controller and go from there. thanks for help.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
the spark i did not see but sounded like it came from controller I will get new controller and go from there. thanks for help.
The stock DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) has some reliability issues, suggest replacing it with an Altrax DCX (User Programmable) or NCX (Non-Programmable)

http://www.alltraxinc.com/

A DCS cart with a DCX400 controller is a pretty wick cart.
It is a Plug-n-Play replacement.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
Handy Randy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

can a diode resistor board installed on dcs cart backward cause damage to controller or any other part on the cart 97 e z go.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
can a diode resistor board installed on dcs cart backward cause damage to controller or any other part on the cart 97 e z go.
It depends on which terminals the diode/resistor board was mounted between, the larger ones (solenoid contacts) or the small ones (solenoid coil)

When mounted between the large terminals, as it is supposed to be, it really doesn't matter much which way it is mounted. One way the B+ terminal has about 2V to 5V less the pack voltage when the solenoid contacts are open and when mounted the other way, the voltage is about 0.6V less than pack voltage.

If the diode/resistor board, or just a diode, if mounted between the solenoid's small, the banded end of the diode has the face the terminal with the positive wire on it. If not, it can take out the controller.

---------
Why there is a diode/resistor board placed across the solenoid contacts on a DCS is a mystery to me.
A resistor across the solenoid contacts serves a purpose, but the diode doesn't.

The diode across the solenoid coil of series drive cart, prolonged the life of the pedal microswitch, but the DCS controller de-energized the solenoid via a solid-state switch that was supposedly protected against the voltage spike the solenoid coil generates when it de-energizes.

When the DCS was replace by the PDS, the diode/resistor board disappeared and just a resistor was used across the solenoid contacts. No diode was used at all.

However, Alltrax requests that a resister be placed across the solenoid contacts and a diode be placed across the solenoid coil when their controllers are used.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
Handy Randy
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

the diode resistor board I was talking about is part #28336-G01 it was installed between the two large post of solenoid. there was no resistor on small post
Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
the diode resistor board I was talking about is part #28336-G01 it was installed between the two large post of solenoid. there was no resistor on small post
yeah - that is the way they came from the factory.... all that changed a few years later.
Today we know all that is needed is the resistor on the big posts and the diode on the small posts.... But, for testing purposes right now, remove them both and see what you got. Any movement? What's the battery pack read when you try to go? (As in what's it read under load = trying to go or going)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clicks but wont move
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO