lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #1
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Utility/Hauling Electric Vehicles - EZGO/other

I'm probably dreaming, but I thought I would go ahead and ask anyway.

I have recently been messing around with a couple of older used EZGO carts to get the jobs done around here - and made my share of mistakes when buying them - but that's another story. I find I am using the smaller cart(s) more and more when the job doesn't require the larger 4x4 John Deere Gator that has been doing the lion's share of the building and maintenance around here the last 10 years.

Now that the majority of the real heavy work has become less and less, I find I use the electric cart whenever I can. I have built cargo boxes, and got them up and running, but not without a lot of learning and effort. And the wife is happy and comfortable that she can use them - where the Gator was just too big and complicated.

So, I saw these nice EZGO electric utility vehicles - the Terrain 250 and 1000. But noticed there is no discussion of them here. I also noticed Yamaha has a U-Max, that is listed for discussion in the Yamaha Forum.

So - my question ---- Yes, these carts are expensive. But I was thinking of selling the Gator (in great shape) and for a couple of thousand more I could probably get one of these snazzy large dump bed, limited slip differential, 500-1000 lb load utility carts, and only have to deal with one smaller friendlier "farm vehicle" to maintain and store.

But I wouldn't do it and just exchange gas for gas. I like the electric, and so does the wife - and I am not so intimidated now that I know a bit about maintaining and working on them.

Am I dreaming and/or asking for trouble? Is there a better place to discuss utility/work vehicles? Any opinions and/or feedback at all would be appreciated.
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2015, 01:45 AM   #2
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Utility/Hauling Electric Vehicles - EZGO/other

So, nobody willing to offer any opinions. :(

Maybe this will tempt some feedback. Here's a link to the EZGO Terrain 1000. It has a 1000lb payload, limited slip differential option, 72 volts, 22.5 HP, among other things.

I could sell my Gator, my used TXT, eat a lot of Ramen, and maybe get one of these. Do you think it would be a mistake depending on an electric solution to do some moderately heavy chores around the place?

http://ezgo.com/Home/Personal/Terrain/Terrain1000.aspx
Old 04-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

There may be less expensive options out there. TXT's and RXV's can be found used at good prices.

A 48v TXT w/upgraded controller and torque motor & work bed is a great Farm helper.

Depending on cost and availability, RXV would also be good (you would want the 6x8v batts)

Both can carry a small load (400+lbs) and both can pull small trailers.

Keep tires close to stock size with tread appropriate for the terrain you will use it on.

Hope this helps.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

We have sold both. The electric workhorse & the electric Umax. Both are relatively trouble free (but keep everything anywhere near the batteries very clean). We have a local municipality running a few around hauling 1500lb trailers, landscape equipment (& rock), water & chemical for weed spraying.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My issues are two fold. Where I am located...
1) Used vehicles are very few and far between. And almost always they are 36v ex-golf carts made available when a golf resort is replacing their fleet. And many times they sell all to a middle man, who then marks things up quite a bit. And equipping them with a bed and any other mods adds to the price. Just shipping a utility bed here would be a couple of hundred dollars in shipping alone. And the batteries in these used carts are always on the old side.
2) Since there is no one here to service any carts (and I would have to do all service), and all parts would have to come air freight, paying more up front to avoid down time, expensive parts, and hassle due to my inexperience and lack of tools - would save me money in the long run. That's just the major downside of living on an island in the middle of the Pacific. :)

So I wanted (and need) a powerful dependable workhorse - I just didn't know if a 72v AC power train was proven dependable technology. And the limited slip differential available on the EZGO/Cushman was also a tempting useful option for me. I might even consider a 4x4 if it wouldn't price me out. But again, I am unsure if electric can supply all that I need.

I have hills, on gravel, and I do pull a driveway grader - along with rocks and firewood a lot. So power and traction are necessities.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #6
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Kona I went gas because all the carts either electric or gas where more $$ and hauled less. I paid $3200. for it. Talk about hauling look at the tag on my toy...

2005 Toro 3200 Workman tag.jpg 2005 Toro 3200 workman 3.jpg

Good to live in such a beautiful place but... To bad there is not a lot to buy used on the island. There is another Toro here in CA. for $2900.00 4x4 and its a few years older but for work something like this is great. Not sure how much to ship things like this from CA.
Hyd dump bed, diff lock, 3 spd., high/ low range.... It is large like the Gator.

You can see it here.... Good luck on whatever you decide on.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/body-...-camo-job.html
Bronco Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO