lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
Ehans2
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha JG5 109074 overheating?

I inherited this golf cart from my grandpa in 2006, it has been great ever since it came into my hands, he had wrong spark plug in it, dirty air filter, etc, so I fixed everything that was wrong with it, and have used it every summer around the cabin. this summer I brought it home for routine maintenance, I took it around the block a few times (90+ degrees outside if that matters) and my girlfriend said the seat on passenger side was getting hot where she was sitting, above the muffler, whereas I didn't notice. we pulled over and lifted the seat and the plastic on the passenger side was beginning to melt and stretched like melted plastic does, over the engine when I flipped the seat open. I don't think it's a fan issue, because that's just the flywheel right? my other idea is that it looks like you could add a plastic device on the top to the right of the muffler to cool those fins better. that or they just aren't meant for long rides in the heat like that. There are tabs and everything on that plastic piece covering those fins, but google didn't give me any info or pictures with something attached there. any ideas?? thanks! new to the forum!!!

ps, while I'm at it how difficult is it to get the brake pedal to spring back up by itself again when you hit the gas? lots of springs etc down there...been pulling it up by hand for the last year or so. thanks for any info!
Ehans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha JG5 109074 overheating?

What you have is a '92 G9A. It's a good cart. Are you sure that the engine has all of the shrouding? It's critical for engine cooling. Pics of the engine will help.

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamaha-par..._449_1212.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Or are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak. Makes a ton of heat if the gasket is bad or there is a hole or crack some where in the exhaust.That will really heat the seat.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Some had a rubber boot on the end of the plastic air shroud that directed the air closer to the muffler for cooling. I have not seen badly deteriorated ones, so it seems like it "had it, or it didnt". My G2 seat gets plenty warm to sit on during a summer ride in the desert, but not hot enough to distort the body. Maybe the muffler has tons of oil sludge inside, that smolders when super heated. Time for a "muffler BBQ"? Look it up, its a real thing for carts & works. Plus, while the muffler is in the BBQ, the gasket is easily changed .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140306_094759_866.jpg (99.7 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's a good use for your old washtub :thumb up:always wondered how the bbq was done!
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Makes the best firepit ever, & doesnt rust out. It does use a lot of wood if you keep it stoked.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Ehans2
Not Yet Wild

I don't think anything is wrong with it. nothing missing that I know of, no holes that I can hear... it's back up at the cabin now where it seldom goes on long trips, so I am not too worried about it.
Next thing is that my spark plug is always really black, as if it is running rich. are there adjustments on the carb? it's not mixed gas which is what I'm used to working on.... sometimes it takes a while to really fire up and get to top speed.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Sluggish starting is often caused by a worn out or missing seal in the airbox (or rubber hooks missing). They are quite sensitive to air leaks in the airbox system, it needs to be in top-notch shape. Oh yeah, whats the altitude at the cabin?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Ehans2
Not Yet Wild

No clue on altitude, it's near Hayward, Wisconsin. not in the mountains or below them as far as I know. The barbed fitting where that breather tube is supposed to go has been broken off since I got it. I re-routed the tube to vent somewhere safe...should I seal that hole where the barbed fitting used to be? how about why my spark plug is so filthy black?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

You should fix the airbox to be like it was from the factory. If you are unwilling to do that, at least plug the hole in the airbox. Airbox seal & hooks are present & good shape? Could be jetted wrong for altitude (which is?). Could be carb dirty or a needle valve with ring worn in rubber tip. Could be a damaged carb due to abuse (rough handling with screwdrivers in poor condition, overtightening jets & screws) .

Tags
fan, gas, overheating, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha