lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
tom4416
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default G22 randomly blowing 10A fuse

2007 G22, bought used, headlights, horn, turn signals, brake and tail lights. All accessories are wired to battery with a fuse on both positive and negative side. Kill switch installed on the wiring from the key and appears to be wired properly (just bridging one wire and mounted into plastic inside the glove box)

Cart will run fine for days, then decide to blow the 10amp inline OEM fuse which is on the negative cable inside the electronics cover. Replace it and the cart immediately runs fine until the next time. No other accessories on when it happens.

I've traced every part of the OEM harness, no shorts than I can find. One oddity is that whoever did the wiring on this cart, grounded one of the OEM wires to the battery which is not shown that way in the schematics. It's a ground wire that comes out of the harness right by the back of the battery compartment, has a connector but has been terminated at the battery instead of where it used to go (no idea where the chassis ground is supposed to be).

Because it's so intermittent, I'm having a devil of a time. Cleaned every contact I can find, ran all the wiring with my multi-meter but since it's not a consistent problem, everything will test properly until it doesn't.

My thoughts are that the oddball ground to the battery needs to be put back to the chassis ground - anyone know where they are on a G22? Other thought is could there be an intermittent short inside the starter solenoid? I've never heard of such a thing but when it blows, I don't even hear a click, the whole system is just dead.

I know I'm the typical newb, join and immediately ask for help so I apologize for that. Also, thanks in advance for any guidance or help.
tom4416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: G22 randomly blowing 10A fuse

Does it blow the fuse while the cart is in motion riding down the road, blowing when parked, or blowing in between each start and stop?
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Are you talking about the little ground wire that's attached to the solenoid bolt? This is a G16, but it's the same. I'd remove the kill switch, too.

Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Seen this one before... Also seen two things fix it. One is remove rubber caps from starter/generator & blow all the carbon dust out, another is a voltage regulator issue. Installing a bigger fuse is a big no-no. I have seen this problem be so intermittent, that i never could find it. In that situation, i installed a 10a automatic resetting circuit breaker instead of fuse (plugs right in stock fuse holder). It will trip, and reset in a few seconds, the cart never exibited the problem more than once (a month), so it worked fine.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
tom4416
Gone Wild
Yamaha

[QUOTE=Dave in VA;1181093]Are you talking about the little ground wire that's attached to the solenoid bolt? This is a G16, but it's the same. I'd remove the kill switch, too.

Does that ground wire connected to the solenoid exit the loom down by the battery where it has a single wire connector? My loom, coming from the front, splits right about the back of the battery, one of the splits being just the ground wire that now runs to the battery, the rest being the bundle of other wires from the front of the cart. I know it's been jury rigged because whoever wired it only had red wire on hand and so that's what they ran to the negative terminal of the battery. If it continued to the solenoid, I can't figure out why it would even bother to exit the loom where it does.

I think I will take the kill switch out of the circuit for a while to see if it makes a difference. Unfortunately, the cart is parked outside in our driveway and, as we all know, the keys are universal and so stealing it would taken only seconds. The kill switch helps (some?).

Thanks so much for the help.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
tom4416
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Seen this one before... Also seen two things fix it. One is remove rubber caps from starter/generator & blow all the carbon dust out, another is a voltage regulator issue. Installing a bigger fuse is a big no-no. I have seen this problem be so intermittent, that i never could find it. In that situation, i installed a 10a automatic resetting circuit breaker instead of fuse (plugs right in stock fuse holder). It will trip, and reset in a few seconds, the cart never exibited the problem more than once (a month), so it worked fine.
I will try blowing out the starter/generator. I'm not one prone to shotgunning solutions but would it be worthwhile to replace the regulator? Again, frustrating that nothing can be tested because of the random nature.

Where to get the 10A resetting circuit breaker and did it plug right into the bladed socket or did you wire it in separately? That sounds like a good solution if nothing else works.

Thanks for pointing me in at least some direction.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
tom4416
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Does it blow the fuse while the cart is in motion riding down the road, blowing when parked, or blowing in between each start and stop?
Cart runs fine, come to a stop - either parked for a while or just at a light, and the whole system is dead when I hit the pedal. Hasn't failed (yet) while actually driving which is why I thought it might be something in the solenoid.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

So it sounds to me its happening whenever you release the pedal or immediately when you press the pedal to get going again. Something with the generator or solenoid like cg said. Ill see if i can find a circuit breaker for you.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Looks like this.

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46751...reaker-Type-1/
Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #10
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Another style just break the tabs off.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/10A-Type-2-Cir...621?nav=SEARCH
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha