lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #1
DRCummins
Not Yet Wild

Default The Yamaha G22, That Wasn't

Hello,

I am new here, but I have run across a problem and I am looking for some insight. I purchased a golf cart off of a business/person who owns the business just the other day. It was advertised as a 2003 and the numbers on the body checked out. However, after getting it home and checking a few more numbers I discovered that the body had been changed and it was not a 2003. Instead of the G22A that the body said it was, its actually a 1996 G16 according to the motor and power train numbers. I have since discovered it should have a rack and pinion steering setup, bigger engine, etc, all of which this has none of.

I have asked the seller for a full refund and I will return the cart two days from now in as received condition.. Just looking for input to see if you guys think this is the correct thing to do. Also, if he gives me trouble I believe I am in the right with this one. Since I did check the body numbers and they matched as advertised, and did not match the rest.

Thanks for any input......
DRCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: The Yamaha G22, That Wasn't

The serial # tag is on is on a vertical piece of the frame in front of the battery, close to the seat hinge. A '96 G16 would be JN6-000xxx. A '97 would be JN6-100xxx, etc. The bodies of the G16 and 22 are interchangeable, as you have found out. The engines of the two look identical, but the 22 is 357cc, vs 301 for the 16.

The G16 is still a very good cart. Is there any rust on the frame? Like behind the plastic rocker panel covers, for example.

Did you buy it from a cart shop or an individual? An individual may not know the difference, but the shop would. Hopefully you can work something out with the seller. Maybe get some $ back since it's 7 years older than advertised...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
DRCummins
Not Yet Wild

I bought it off of a gentleman that has a small auto business, and he said he flips several carts per year.

I just went and looked at the serial numbers again...It appears to be a 1995 frame with a 1996 motor and a 2003 body. So far he has been cooperative and the arrangements have been made to return it tomorrow evening. I feel that is the best way to make us both "whole" again.

He said he was unaware, but agreed he would be upset if the tables were turned. I am looking for a cart as a long term fixer upper and I already have a 2003 EZGO. If I wanted something 20 years old I would have probably just fixed up the one I have.
DRCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Glad that he's working with you. That G16 would be a good platform for a project if it is rust free and the price was right...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Hey DR you would not happen ta be in So Cal??? I'm looking for a G-16 project cart....
Bronco Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Totally understandable and glad the seller is working with you.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha