lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
ALT
Not Yet Wild

Default Problem with Alltrax Speed Controller Powering Up

Introduction:
This is my first post, so I apologize if this is in the wrong thread... etc. I am looking for some help troubleshooting my alltrax speed controller that I am using on an electric bandolero.

The problem:
My controller does not consistently power up. When first giving it power by depressing the throttle and activating the main contractor, I get a single green flash indicating a 0-5k ohm pot box set up. It then stays solid green as long as the throttle is still depressed, the wheels turn and it appears to be working smoothly. However, when I release the throttle, cutting power from the controller, and attempt to press it again the controller does not receive power. It then remains un-powerable for a period of about 5 minutes before it works correctly until I release the accelerator and cut its power. I talked a bit with an alltrax employee and he seems to think it is a problem with the power supply inside the controller, something that cannot be fixed.

I am a novice to electric vehicles and it is highly likely that I may have made a problem in wiring the whole system, but I don't really know where to look to diagnose the issue. If anyone knows where I should look to address this issue it would be much appreciated! Thanks.
ALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Problem with Alltrax Speed Controller Powering Up

The technicians at Alltrax are best suited to answer this question. and I tend to believe them if they were given the correct information to work with.

What model control are you asking about?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Also how did you wire it up? It expects a main solenoid and a switch on the throttle pedal.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Um, read the original post slower.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a SWAG. The controller should be powered on by the key switch not the throttle sw. I would guess that your getting a HPD fault. Try disabling the HPD in the software. Did it ever work correctly?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
ALT
Not Yet Wild

This might sound silly but what is a SWAG?

I was getting a HPD fault! I fixed it by adjusting the potentiometer because it had somehow lost its calibration, i.e read 2.6k ohms when not depressed instead of 0 (even though I had recently fixed the calibration). Edit: I think I may have assumed HPD is something different than it actually is. I'll try disabling now.

A schematic I used has the key switch in series with the throttle foot switch though; I thought the controller was supposed to only be powered when the throttle is pressed. I think the bando might work if I wire up a separate circuit which gives the controller a constant 72 volts, but I was lead to believe that this is not the proper wiring setup.

This project was passed down to me, and was never previously completed. I have only had the wheels turn when the throttle is pressed, but it will not continue to work because of the problem I previously stated.

EDIT: I forgot a word, and the controller model is an Alltrax AXE 7245. Also does SWAG mean Silly wild *** guess?
Old 12-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

HPD is acronym for high pedal disable a commonly used safety feature which prevents the controller from passing current if it asked to start at anything less than 0 throttle. The results of a high pedal start could be hazardous to life and property.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
ALT
Not Yet Wild

I think I get it now, does that mean I shouldn't disable it?

Also a friend of mine who is helping me with this project was looking through a troubleshooting guide and noticed the precharge resistor. Could this be a problem? The original solenoid/main contactor was destroyed and a new one had to be ordered. Is the precharge resistor in between the pins of the main contactor? In the guide it says to check the proper value, which appears to be 1000 ohms, but it actually is a 470 ohm resistor, the value for a 48volts, not 72volts. Is this that large of an issue?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #9
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
This might sound silly but what is a SWAG?
It means "Sophisticated Wild *** Guess". But some people might say silly but silly is just the plain WAG.

1000 ohms is for 72v

With the throttle powering up your controller you may need to have it powered off the key. Otherwise you will need to have the wheels spinning just to program it.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
With the throttle powering up your controller you may need to have it powered off the key. Otherwise you will need to have the wheels spinning just to program it.
Disregard this part of the message. I checked the schematic and it is supposed to be wired in series through the kysw and the throttle sw.

Tags
alltrax, power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car