lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #1
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Relay location question

I can't get this clear in my head, so I'm asking again. If I have a few high draw circuits on the golf cart (LED Light Bar, Overhead fan, etc.), is it better to place the relays as close to the battery as possible, or as close to the load as possible? I have switches to place in the dash, but they are not high amp.

I think I understand that the switches just use a low amp draw to active the relay coils, and the relay draws the high amperage current, but then it has to send (or allow) that current to the device. Is that right?

Thanks!
JaxPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2017, 02:23 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Relay location question

Ok, you want tons of stuff, right? You should have your main fuse block near the battery pack... Or you should have a big fuse ahead of the big fuse block at the front area of the cart. The fuse is there to protect the wires of the cart from catching fire, not to protect the devices connected to it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPilot View Post
I can't get this clear in my head, so I'm asking again. If I have a few high draw circuits on the golf cart (LED Light Bar, Overhead fan, etc.), is it better to place the relays as close to the battery as possible, or as close to the load as possible? I have switches to place in the dash, but they are not high amp.

I think I understand that the switches just use a low amp draw to active the relay coils, and the relay draws the high amperage current, but then it has to send (or allow) that current to the device. Is that right?

Thanks!
I prefer to put the relays near the power source, and use the + of that power source to power the + to each relay coil with a jumper at the relay itself. Then run the - from each relay coil out through the switch and a common - wire from all relays back to the power source -. This is for safety, as any shorts on switch wires will only result in the activation of one or more relays. No need to fuse the switch wires then.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
marianol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with Bob. Relays close to the power source.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
marianol is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO