lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
p-straw
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default High Speed or Stock Gears?...with High Torque Motor

Looking for some input in regards to replacing gears....high speed or stock? I have an abundance of torque, which I do like but would be willing to trade some for speed (currently max 22 MPH). I bought this cart off of an individual and I honestly don't know if any mods were previously done to the gears. I am assuming that that they are stock now. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Recently replaced input shaft and can't get rid of whining noise which I assume is due to the new gear on old gear hence the reason for replacing gears.

2002 EZGO
AMD EY7-4001 Motor
Alltrax DCX600 Controller
42V Battery Pack
22" Tires
p-straw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: High Speed or Stock Gears?...with High Torque Motor

first question I would have is what size tires do you have on your cart now?

EDIT: crap.....had my head up my butt.....you have the tire size there in your post....DUH!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If your 22" tall tires are the low pressure type (<10PSI max inflation pressure), they are holding your top speed down some.

Also, the filed map you are running in the DCX controller might not be the best one for your setup. Try #48 (EY7-4001 - 36V) or #49 (EY7-4001 - 48V) rather than #4.

Unfortunately, the next numerically lower gear ratio is 8:1 which is a 36% reduction in torque. Mathematically, your speed would increase to a bit over 34MPH, but in reality, the torque loss will keep the cart to a much lower speed.

Personally, I'd up the battery pack to 48V, which would up both the torque and the speed by about 15%. That would give you about 25MPH.

BTW, the whine may be coming from the motor rather than the gears, or coming from both.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
p-straw
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Not too excited about giving up that much torque for the possibility of only a marginal increase in speed. In regards to the field maps, I guess that is something that I would have to request from Alltrax?

And I did rule out the motor making the whining noise by switching out the motor with an extra that I had laying around. It is definitely the gears based on what I can tell.
p-straw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO