lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
kpauley
Gone Wild

Default Troubleshooting not charging

I don’t work on these carts for a while and I forget things!

99 EZGO upgraded to 42 volts. SPM controller, Trojan batteries and a DPI charger. Things have been running well for quite some time, then a couple months ago I noticed it was not charging. Ended up having some errors on the charger and had to swap out the board.

Things worked fine since. Now I have a cart not charging again. This time no errors on the charger. The Power On and Detection lights are red. Doesn’t sound like it is clicking and trying to sense the pack.

Nothing else has changed, I’m manually charging up the pack so I can continue to use the cart and I’m getting the voltage up past where it should sense the pack.

Have not measured individual cells yet but will do so, just seems like something is not triggering the charger and I want to make sure I am looking for the right things :-).
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
atr42flyer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Troubleshooting not charging

its the fuse blown?
atr42flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
kpauley
Gone Wild

I checked fuses. They look fine. I’m seeing pack voltage at the receptical for the charger.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Charger shows lights, but no change if Ac cord is plugged in or not? (And ac outlet works) If so, charger temp sensor may have failed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
kpauley
Gone Wild

I'm working on a solid charge of all the individual batteries to make sure the pack is reasonably sound and will report back. May also try calling DPI tech support for the heck of it since I had a case with them before.

I did see some flickering of the lights on the charge when I plugged it in, went pretty quick, but it seemed to "know" that something changed but I didn't get any error condition lights after that.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
kpauley
Gone Wild

Got it figured out. Was getting pack voltage at the plug, but not at the charger itself. Opened up the plug on the charger cable and one of the screws that holds the terminal in place was loose and it looked like it had been arcing too as there was some plastic melted around it. Tightened that up and now it is charging. Gonna let it get through a whole charge, then I'll clean things up a little, make sure it is good and tight.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
Got it figured out. Was getting pack voltage at the plug, but not at the charger itself. Opened up the plug on the charger cable and one of the screws that holds the terminal in place was loose and it looked like it had been arcing too as there was some plastic melted around it. Tightened that up and now it is charging. Gonna let it get through a whole charge, then I'll clean things up a little, make sure it is good and tight.

Good find
Pics if you can ?
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
kpauley
Gone Wild

Seems to be working better after I tightened up these screws. I’m assuming the melting of the plastic came from some arcing with the loose screw but if there is other stuff I should be concerned about let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C121AE7C-5FC0-4E54-B51B-D80AB251E02B.jpg (150.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9B564387-27CF-4705-8653-76A436864B69.jpg (195.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Though you tightened the screw, that crimp connection that got hot while it was loose is no longer as strong as original and it will heat up. It is a weak link now. I think you should keep an eye on it especially about an hour into a charge, when the charger is still at peaks amps. Just a thought.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #10
kpauley
Gone Wild

I'm a little worried about it as well, was going to swap out the connector. But then DPI told me they would just send me a new cable and connector! Great customer service! Will be buying a DPI charger for my new (used) cart now!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO