lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
PurplePhantom
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default She's Dead: Time to go from 36v to 48v

Afternoon BGW!

With the new year in front of me, I'm ready for a new project and my new to me cart is going to be just that. If there is any way to keep my existing 36v pack going for another year, I'd like to do that, but based on what i've read on the form, there doesn't seem like there is a chance. Here is the voltage i've collected.

36vbatterypack.png

With each battery at 6.07-6.16 volts, I'm guessing its a door nail. [EDIT: I've tried charging two at a time with a 12v charger to no avail.]I also had some shorting issues before it died where inline fuses were blown. I am interested in rewiring the entire cart to make sure there are no pre-existing issues when i put in the additional money and time.

That said, looking to future, I did some poking around and found that the cart has an upgraded motor from plum quick. Where the description reads "Purple motors are upgraded stock or aftermarket motors that you, the customer ship to us for speed and torque performance upgrades". I con't find what they do to the motor, just that it will work with 48v packs just fine

https://www.plumquick.com/motors-and...es/the-bandit/

Motor.jpg

The primary use for the cart right now is driving around town, to restaurants, and to friends houses. I'm not looking to go 30+, but am very interested in hauling 4 adult males and it not feel like I'm mudding. Based on that, I figured I would be looking to utilize my existing motor then add in the rest that will get me torque over speed. Open to two setting or lock controllers that i can adjust the torque rating and curve based on use (single or 4 people).

The cart has under glow LED's now where I am contemplating adding a sound bar and light bar. A friend of mine added a side 12v for his accessories; thoughts on that move and if I should consider a side accessory battery and fuse box?

Based on all of the above, does anyone have any recommendations for this overhaul?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pack.jpg (276.1 KB, 0 views)
PurplePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: She's Dead: Time to go from 36v to 48v

Time to bring the cart into this century. 48v is a major boost in torque and speed.
You have a "series" cart so these are my suggestions:

48v battery pack- 6x8v probably-you will need a charger
All new high current cables. 4 or 2 gage. Don't skimp on these-very important
Alltrax SR 400 or 500 amp controller (these are user programmable)
Reversing contactors. Eliminates the antique mechanical directional switching. A kit is available.
Heavy duty solenoid. Can be purchased as a package with speed control.

For 12v systems I have done both a separate battery and a converter. My recommendation is a converter. Get a good one with at least 30amps. Avoid the cheap chinese junk. Use a fuse block-marine grade. Kits are available.

After all that see where you are. If you need more, then consider a motor.

When you shop for these things, consider the site sponsors first. Generally they have competitive pricing with proven customer service and support after the sale.

My 2 cents
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
PurplePhantom
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
My recommendation is a converter.
Appreciate the insight. For the 12v system, is the converter recommendation based on ease of charging and maintaining so you don't have to manage two systems? The counter argument that I've heard would be you wouldn't run into draining your pack if left playing music or running lights at length at night.
PurplePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would call Scottyb or TahoeDawgZ71. Both of them can get you set up.

But I agree with Kernal, get it up to 48v (or more on lithium), Alltrax controller and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePhantom View Post
Appreciate the insight. For the 12v system, is the converter recommendation based on ease of charging and maintaining so you don't have to manage two systems? The counter argument that I've heard would be you wouldn't run into draining your pack if left playing music or running lights at length at night.
The separate battery requires it's own charging system. You may need to go this way if you anticipate heavy 12v use like a winch and/or powerful sound system etc. If that is the case you would need a pretty hefty 12v battery also -- marine or maybe an optima. For light duty a gel powerchair type battery is probably sufficient. These days with LED lights and sound systems that don't draw much power a quality converter is good enough and doesn't really cut into range and is easier to live with. I was worried about a converter cutting into my range but over time (years) I found it was overkill and unnecessarily complicated for my use. However, I doubt I would convert the cart I have with the separate battery to a converter. A good gel battery $65-80 lasts about 5 years in my case. For context: I expect my carts to run 20 miles easily without discharging the pack below 50%.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I had a 30 amp converter, which I liked, except for two things: No constant 12 volt memory wire, so could not save radio stations, and it dropped out a few seconds, every time I punched it to cross the 45 mph roads. There are fixes for each, but I finally bought a battery. Since I already had a "cigarette lighter" type power outlet, I simply use that to charge the 12 volt battery. All other accessories but that turn off when the key switch is off. I tied the 12 volt charger cable to my 48 volt charger cable, so I just hook them both up every time I park.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO