lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #1
Gpb4713
Not Yet Wild

Default when I push down on my throttle pedal my volts drop off my fully charged batteries

I have a 2012, 48 volt Ezgo cart that I bought in August of 2017 and it has been working just great until 2 days ago I went out and unplugged it from being fully charged and I went to back it out of the garage and as I did I noticed that the volt meter on the dash when I pushed on the throttle pedal the volts significantly dropped off from 48 volts down to like 14 volts and when I let off the throttle the volts went right back up to full volts. While I was pushing on the throttle I also had no power at all, almost like the batteries where completely dead. I barely made it back into the garage and I was only a few feet out. I then checked my fluid levels in the batteries and topped them off with distilled water and fully charged my new Trojan batteries (July 2017 batteries) once again. I then checked them individually and got 13.8V, 14.4V, 11.9V and 12.3V which all checked out. I tried it once again and got the same results. I then checked the volts right at the spot where you plug in the charger and got the same voltage as was reading on my dash with the volt indicator that I installed. I am obviously a new B at this whole electric cart thing, could someone please shed some light on this issue for me. Thank you for your time and efforts on advance.
Gpb4713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
03psd73
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: when I push down on my throttle pedal my volts drop off my fully charged batterie

11.9 volts is basically a dead battery, 12.3 is not much better. A fully charged battery should be 14.2 volts. Im assuming you have 4 12 volt batteries, one thing to try is to charge each battery one at a time with a standard battery charger to top them off. With those "dead" batteries it will pull your pack way down. Voltage drop is normal when you press on the acc. pedal.
03psd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: when I push down on my throttle pedal my volts drop off my fully charged batterie

If you could put a voltmeter one battery at a time and repeat the try to go voltage test... you will find which 2 are unable to take a charge or are not getting a charge... or have accessories draining them down.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Gpb4713
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much guys, as you can tell I had no idea that 11.9 volts would be considered dead for a 12 volt battery. Do you think that I killed the batteries by plowing snow with my cart, because I have plow on the front with a winch. I don't run them all the way down and I fully charge them after every time. I will try charging them individually all back up to 14.2 volts. Thanks again.
Gpb4713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

do you have a voltage reducer that run the accessories or are you using one of the 4 batteries ? If the winch is one battery we assume that would be your dead one .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

yep
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

we found probably cause. There is no 12v reducer that can handle a winch I know of. The battery used for the winch must be brought up to the level of the other batteries BEFORE they are all recharged. And it's best if you move the winch to a different battery each time you use it. Spread the punishment around.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
03psd73
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
we found probably cause. There is no 12v reducer that can handle a winch I know of. The battery used for the winch must be brought up to the level of the other batteries BEFORE they are all recharged. And it's best if you move the winch to a different battery each time you use it. Spread the punishment around.
That or put in a seperate battery just for the winch.
03psd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpb4713 View Post
I then checked my fluid levels in the batteries and topped them off with distilled water and fully charged my new Trojan batteries (July 2017 batteries) once again. I then checked them individually and got 13.8V, 14.4V, 11.9V and 12.3V
The recommended CHARGING VOLTAGE for a Trojan 12 volt battery at 70º F is 14.8 volts. As you can see from the attached State of Charge Chart, the stabilized voltage (after 12 to 24 hours off the charger) for a 100% state of charge battery is 12.73 volts ... a considerable difference.

It certainly sounds like you have 2 very weak batteries. As ScottyB suggests, try to bring up the charge of the weak batteries one at a time using a 12 volt battery charger. If these batteries can not be brought up to charge individually, then they may be permanently damaged.

If you can bring up the charge on the weak batteries, proceed to fully charge your 48 volt battery pack again, disconnect the charger and let the battery voltage stabilize for 12 to 24 hours. You can then record the voltage of each battery and compare it to the State of Charge chart.

A 100% fully charged 12v battery should have a stabilized voltage reading of 12.73 volts (or greater). You have two batteries that read significantly greater than 12.73 volts ... these most likely were not stabilized voltages. You also have two batteries at significantly lower voltages ... 11.9 and 12.3 volts ... which indicated a state of charge of 36% and 65% respectively ... but again, you will have to let the battery voltage stabilize for 12 to 24 hours after charging to give you a representative state of charge indication ... unfortunately, these batteries may not improve with stabilization, rather their % state of charge could be less than the numbers indicated above.

I agree with Swan and ScottyB that if you have been running the winch on one battery only, that battery is likely significantly drawn down and depending on frequency and duration of drawn down, may also be significantly (permanently?) damaged.

Good luck with your batteries … hopefully you can bring them back to life.

Regards, 3CW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Chart.JPG (70.8 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03psd73 View Post
That or put in a seperate battery just for the winch.
Thats what I'd do if it was me
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO