lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #11
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 87 club car ds electrical questions

Wow, nice! Fix that bad boy up!
Love that axe!
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I got so excited about being to yap about an old school resistor cart (resistor carts are where my "cart heart" will forever be) that I only bothered to give a quick glance at the thumbnails. After reading the hubbub I took a closer look; my goodness, that thing is amazing.

Is that a deuce 1/2 in that last pic?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I wouldn't bother to replace the one solenoid, I'd just go ahead and do the conversion to get away from those resistors.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #14
milspec
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes a Deuce and a half, I actually have 2 of that body style(1952's) and 1 the GMC body style right before that(also a 1952) and a M37 dodge(1952)....military vehicles are kind of my thing....lol...thus my username. Thats kind of why I built this cart, it was a real piece of s&*% when I got it. Everything that isn't homemade is actual military ww2 parts.

Scotty, yes I want to eventually start changing over to a newer drive system and need to talk in detail with you about what I want to do and get your advice on how I can do it without buying everything all at once...I just got done building this thing earlier this month so a little tight on money....that and I am picking up another military vehicle this next week from a museum...soooo play money is gonna be short for a while.
milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #15
milspec
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oh yeah, so I guess the consensus is that I might be ok as is....I really don't drive it very much yet, mostly for events, and if I understand what you guys are saying....if it does have another solenoid fry and in the "ON" position than the only way to stop is kill power?

With the all new wire system I have in it, I can just kill the ignition switch, as I wired everything on this thing to it so it will kill everything if off. Maybe I'll just get another solenoid and put it in there just in case, might just be cheap piece of mind.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #16
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

The ignition switch won’t stop it if the solenoid welds[emoji52]. Putting it in neutral will though.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #17
milspec
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did remove the original ignition switch...I used another type and it kills the main power to everything, I did that so if at events anybody flips any of my other switches they can't kill my batteries....If I'm not on it I turn it off and keep the key in my pocket...plus nobody will have a key that fits it!!

Had to run a relay for the carts original keyed wires...not sure if that makes sense, I have a few relays and a fuse panel I put in this thing so I could run it all on.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #18
milspec
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oh wait, now I see what you are saying....after thinking about how the cart switches the "battery" cable power....your right...well that sucks!!

Buying another solenoid, would rather spend the money to be safe, even if I end up taking it all out in a few months.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #19
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by milspec View Post
I did remove the original ignition switch...I used another type and it kills the main power to everything, I did that so if at events anybody flips any of my other switches they can't kill my batteries....If I'm not on it I turn it off and keep the key in my pocket...plus nobody will have a key that fits it!!

Had to run a relay for the carts original keyed wires...not sure if that makes sense, I have a few relays and a fuse panel I put in this thing so I could run it all on.

It does make sense. If a solenoid “welds” in the on position, you have power through the high current wires going to the motor. Turning off the key switch would stop the signal to the microswitch box (low current wires), but if the solenoid’s welded, it will keep going. I’ve had it happen many times.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car