lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Extractor
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car 48V Charging System

Nice write-up autoslot... now why is my charger not shutting off after even 24hrs?

Batteries at the end of their lifespan and can't take a full charge? I thought it had a safety shut off at 16hrs?
Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
autoslot
Not Yet Wild

Good question. According to the Lester manual, (see attached) the charger should shut off after 16 hours. Since it doesn't, it must be either: 1)OBC is bad 2)Cart has been modified and the gray wire is connected to the cart's negative battery terminal so it always pulls in the charger relay or 3)the charger has been modified to bypass the relay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clubcar7.jpg (63.8 KB, 80 views)
autoslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
edgewil
Not Yet Wild

well i got the charger to charge let it charge over night and i went to test the cart but now it will not move i plugged the charger back in and it started to charge again i guess i got some dead cells in my batteries for it to lose charge like that
edgewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
autoslot
Not Yet Wild

I think any time you disconnect the charger and plug it back in, causes it to go into another 16 hr charge cycle, regardless of battery charge level. (It may not pull many amps though if your batteries are full charged.)

The cart won't move if the charger is plugged in.

If you have a voltmeter, I would check each battery individually and also all the battery connections. One bad battery or connection can keep your cart from moving.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
lhansen1
Not Yet Wild

Hello all, just joined. Have a question regarding using 48 volt charge on 36 volt battery pack. In an effort to save some money (which may have been a stupid idea) I took 6 failry new 6-volt batteries out of a 36-volt golf cart not being used, and put them in a 48-volt cart (which previously had 6 8-volt batteries). My questin is, will I overcook them by using a 48-volt charger? Also, do I need to change any other components? Any help would be appreciated, thanks! Sorry if this should be a new post, could not find anything similar - most are going the other way (from 36 to 48 volt)
lhansen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhansen1 View Post
Hello all, just joined. Have a question regarding using 48 volt charge on 36 volt battery pack. In an effort to save some money (which may have been a stupid idea) I took 6 failry new 6-volt batteries out of a 36-volt golf cart not being used, and put them in a 48-volt cart (which previously had 6 8-volt batteries). My questin is, will I overcook them by using a 48-volt charger? Also, do I need to change any other components? Any help would be appreciated, thanks! Sorry if this should be a new post, could not find anything similar - most are going the other way (from 36 to 48 volt)
...this is a bad idea for several reasons. Hopefully this is a Club Car and it will not let the charger come on because if it does it will cook the $hit out of the batteries causing damage. The motor won't like running on reduced voltage. Some other controllers will implode on low voltage. Hopefully you have not tried to run this way.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
lhansen1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick reply scottyb. It is a Club car so hopefully not too much damage was done! Did dive it, but not too far. Thanks again for the advise. I was pretty sure it was not going to be a good idea. Tried to save a dime and almost cost me a dollar.
lhansen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
John Kissell
Not Yet Wild

this sounds just like my problem.

My charger was working fine and then i ran the battries down to where the cart would not move.

i put my charger on and it would click on but it would not move from 0 on the meter. I tried my charger on other carts and it worked fine on theirs.

do you think that i ran my batteries to low for my charger to work?

someone told me to put a trickle charge on them for a day and then hook up my charger to see if it would work.

also i tried other peoples charges on mine and it did the same thing.

any help would be great.

thanks,
John
John Kissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
autoslot
Not Yet Wild

Check the fuse under the clear plastic cover on the cart charger recepticle.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
John Kissell
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the reply, i ran an ohm on it and it read .8, i dont know if i was just getting a reading for the meter being on or what. should that fuse read higher?

thanks, John
John Kissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car