lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Jrbrent23
Not Yet Wild

Default 2 wire voltage reducer?

Hey guys back again. I have a 2 wire voltage reducer on my g19 after looking online I cant find anything like it one side has a ring terminal connected to the positive side of the battery closest to the motor the other side is connected to a terminal bar. If I ground my dvom on the terminal bar and connect the positive lead to various battery terminals I get varying voltages. Closest I can get to 12 volts without going under is around 13.5 volts. I dont see any issue with my 12 volt accessories running at 13.5 the alternator on most cars puts out 14 volts or so. I'm just wondering if there will be any additional wear on my battery pack? Is there some reason I cant find info on these? Thanks
Jrbrent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2 wire voltage reducer?

Without seeing it, I have to question if that’s actually a voltage reducer you’re looking at. At minimum a reducer should have + and - to power the reducer itself and + and - again going out to whatever accessories you are running, so 4 wires. Many have a 5th wire that allows the reducer to power on and off with the ignition switch. Even if there was a way to combine grounds (which shouldn’t work) there would need to be at least 3 wires.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I got to thinking, some of those fairly useless 16 volt to 12 volt reducers do have just the two wires. They just went in-line with 2 of the 8 volt batteries for a 48 volt cart (with 6 x 8 volt batteries). If that’s what you’ve got, throw it out and get a real voltage reducer. The whole reason for having the reducer is to evenly pull off the whole pack. Pulling off just 2 is just as bad as not even using a reducer at all.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Jrbrent23
Not Yet Wild

If I could figure out how to post pictures on here I would show you I do believe this works by pulling off just a few batteries though. I'll try to figure out the photo thing tonight
Old 03-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
Jrbrent23
Not Yet Wild

Think I figured it out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190121_141905.jpg (127.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190320_160529.jpg (77.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrbrent23 View Post
Hey guys back again. I have a 2 wire voltage reducer on my g19 after looking online I cant find anything like it one side has a ring terminal connected to the positive side of the battery closest to the motor the other side is connected to a terminal bar. If I ground my dvom on the terminal bar and connect the positive lead to various battery terminals I get varying voltages. Closest I can get to 12 volts without going under is around 13.5 volts. I dont see any issue with my 12 volt accessories running at 13.5 the alternator on most cars puts out 14 volts or so. I'm just wondering if there will be any additional wear on my battery pack? Is there some reason I cant find info on these? Thanks
See my post in your other thread about this.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
Jrbrent23
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I accidentally posted it twice and didn't know how to delete one of them. Thanks for the info, sounds like I need to ditch this for something that wont shorten the lifespan on my battery pack
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha