lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
beersy1223
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 Club Car Wont Move.

I just took my 1996 club car out of winter storage and parked it at my golf course. I noticed when moving it the reverse buzzer would not sound. When I shifted the cart from forward to reverse it was also difficult to move the lever. Yesterday when I went to use it would not budge. Does this mean I probably need to replace the forward and reverse switch?
beersy1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 96 Club Car Wont Move.

The forward/reverse "switch" isn't really a switch, it's just a lever that pulls the cable. Without seeing it, I would suspect that the cable is either bound up or seized and the cable is what would need to be repaired/replaced.

You could try and lube the back side of the "switch" and maybe that will free up with some WD40. There really isn't much to it back there though.

Sometimes i've had good luck with a cable luber. They sell them for bikes, and they're around 8 bucks or so. You clamp it onto the end of the cable where the steel cable goes inside the jacketing. It allows you to basically squirt WD40 (or pb blaster or whatever your poison of choice is) inside the jacketing to help lubricate the cable internally. They work quite well if the cable isn't completely seized. Good for preventative maintenance too
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
beersy1223
Not Yet Wild

Lubed up the backside of the switch but to no avail. On other thoughts on why the cart wont move before I look into getting the cable replaced? When I push the gas it makes the clicking sound however the engine just wont turn over.

Ignition switch?
Solenoid?
Battery?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the lever doesn't move the shift cable is seized.
You can disconnect the cable from the lever to verify that the lever moves freely. If you remove the rear access cover you can also remove the cable from the transmission shift arm and manually put the arm in forward or reverse so the cart can be moved if necessary.

The cables are easy to replace, but do take careful attention to be adjusted properly.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
beersy1223
Not Yet Wild

Well after a few weeks, some grease, a new ignition switch and a new solenoid I finally got my club car moving. Some issues though:

While hooking up the new solenoid I got a bunch of sparks and once I tightened all the nuts the engine turned over but would not stop. I was able to move the cart in both forward and reverse but the only way I could get the engine to turn off was to disconnect the solenoid.

Any help on why the engine won't turn off?
Old 05-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
beersy1223
Not Yet Wild

Tags
club car, forward reverse switch, wont go
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car