lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
DrBob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default How does 48V 2001 Club Cart OBC function?

Does anyone have any specific information on the operation of the 2001 DS Club Cart On Board Computer (OBC)?

Mostly from this forum and the wiring diagram, I have pieced together some information "factoids" - but this still does not state how it functions.

1. The OBC is only used to control the charging of the batteries. I am not sure this is it's only function though - see below)

2. The #6 gauge wire from the Battery pack's negative post (B-) passes THROUGH the OBC to the Controller B- post without making electrical contact. Perhaps there is a heavy duty current sensor in the OBC that it passes through - like a "Clamp-on" DC amp meter?

3. If #2 above is true, this implies that the OBC is COLOR="Red"]measuring[/COLOR] (but not necessarily controlling) some hefty operating current, not just the charging current.

4. The OBC controls the operation of the Yellow Warning Light (brown wire)

5. The OBC monitors the Battery Pack voltage (red & black wires)

6. The OBC controls the operation of the Forward-Reverse Solenoid (yellow wire). This looks like a operation vs a charging function to me.

7. The OBC intercepts (and probably measures?) the charging current (black to Receptacle and black to Controller B-)

8. The OBC apparently controls whether the charger feeds charging power to the cart by controlling the voltage on the third pin (grey wire) of the charging receptacle. This does not vary the charging current or voltage - it is a "on or off" control.

9. The OBC is made my Lester for Club cart as a proprietary part. I could not find any information on it at the Lester site. There are several part numbers for the Club Car OBC, but I suspect they will all be very similar.

Perhaps someone has the appropriate Club Maintenance and Troubleshooting manual and can let us know what Club Car says about it's OBC?

How does the OBC decide when to stop charging the batteries? Is it based on measuring the charging current and or voltage during the charge cycle? What are the OBC's Stop Charging criteria?

Would anyone have a schematic diagram of the internals of the OBC.
DrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: How does 48V 2001 Club Cart OBC function?

i don,t know the technacals about them but the OBC moniters how many charge/discharge cycles the cart has gone thur it also moniters the voltage each battery uses and replaces that amount of voltage per battery,the hole thur the middle of it is some kind of sensor thats why if you run that cable around it and not thur it the cart won,t run.............there are so many different versions of the OBC depending on the year thats why its not a one OBC fits all type of deal...........the main function is to moniter the charging system and as for why sometimes when they go bad a cart won,t run and sometimes a cart will run but not charge its just to hard to answer......same as bypassing it ................some carts you can bypass the OBC and cart will run fine than you go to bypass a different cart and it still won,t run........they have nothing todo with the F&R operation, they say it can be rebuilt but i have taken a few apart and can,t see how they can rebuild it.........and no there are no wiring diagrams for the internals of it...........there is a lot more abouit them but we could go on forever.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
DrBob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hey Shadowman,

Thanks for the reply. That is a good start, but I am hoping someone will have additional specific information.

My specific OBC is Club Cart part number 101909901 = the Lester Electrical 21065-01. It is also used in a 2002 DS model. I would really think it likely that all the OBCs on the Club car DS models will be very similar and the several part numbers in computers that look identical will have variations so small that the operation discription of the OBC will be the same. At least I will take ANY functional description or schematic diagram of a 2001-2000 Club OBC at this point.

If it makes a difference, the cart S/N is AA0118-04162. The charger is a Club Car Powerdrive, 48 Volt.

Attached is a wiring diagram of my 48V Powerdrive 2001 DS club car for reference.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1242794789

I notice that the site downgrades the clarity of the diagram considerably. If you want the clear version, send me an email.

Last edited by DrBob; 05-19-2009 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Adding Link for the Attachment
Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
DrBob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Humm... The .pdf file for my last message did not get a link. I tried to use the Manage Attachments to do it. I guess I will give it another try.

OK - Fixed it above.

Last edited by DrBob; 05-19-2009 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Trying to add an attachment
Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

usually when that happens you didn't wait for it to finish uploading.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

What is prompting all these questions about the OBC. Instead of trying to diagnose Dr., why dont you tell your symptoms and let the team of Dr.'s here have a consult and try to aid in your treatment and recovery process.
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

there are no diagrams or schmatics of the OBC that i,m aware of........as i said i have torn a few apart and for the life of me i can,t understand how they can advertise a rebuilt one...............there are reasons they have difference in part#,s lets say you have a 1996 powerdrive and a 1996 with powerdrive plus these carts are identical in every way.........2 different OBC,S and one won,t work on the other but yhou can use either battery charger on either cart and it will work.......i quit trying to figure them out a long time ago............................................... ....
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
autoslot
Not Yet Wild

I think you are pretty much correct on most of your points.

See this thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ng-system.html

According to my charger manual, the OBC records the amount of energy consumed as the golf cart was driven, then directs the charger to replace exactly the amount of energy needed to fully replenish the batteries.

It won't let the cart move when the charger is plugged in.

Long term storage, it will activate the charger every 15 days to keep the batteries charged.

I see you are from The Villages. My mother-in-law lives there. Lady Lake has the most modified golf carts I've ever seen in one area! (You almost see more carts on the street than cars). The only non-modified ones I saw are on the golf courses.
autoslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
DrBob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi Guys,

Sorry I got delayed in responding. I really appreciate the information so far though.

Oxfordlawn: You are likely only a 10 min WOT drive to my place in The Villages - if they allowed us to use Fl CR466!

You asked "What is prompting all these questions about the OBC?"

Well I guess it is the engineer in me. I have found the documentation on about everything else in my 2001 DS Club Cart and it is very unnerving that probably the most key piece, the OBC, is just a black box, which so far even defies finding a functional description as given by the manufacturer.

I too have spent 10s of hours mostly looking, then reading all the info I can find on the web about it and even have a spare one in my hands. Having a background in computers and industrial controllers and looking at the interface it has with the rest of the parts, it is hard for me to believe some of the attributes it is claimed to have - if they are taken literately. I am pretty sure, where there is smoke, there is a fire somewhere close. It is just that I want to feel the flames!

So I am still out to see if the mystery behind the OBC can be broken.

Looking at the signature lines of some on this site, I believe it has folks with some design experience in companies that are in the same field as Club Car or Lester Electric. When I was in the commercial life (before retirement), I know I was well aware of what the state of the art was in my field. So I am confident there is more to be found than what we, together, have assembled so far.

Shadowman: Thanks for your additions. I agree with you that my potted OBC would he a bear to tear apart and still have the components operational. And repair would be even more difficult!

I have seen that there are many models of the Club OBC out there, but I am concentrating on the 2001-2002 DS Clubs, which both use my OBC - until you get to the 2002 DS IQ model. That said, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that Club evolved the OBC. If so, it is likely that OBCs a few years before the 2001-2002 models and even the models in the IQ and possibly Precedent bear a lot in common. If the electrical interface of a Club OBC is largely identical the the one in the wiring diagram I posted, it is likely the functionality is equally similar. Now if the OBC interfaces to many different or fewer parts, all bets are off.

Autoslot: Well you must have married a pretty clever gal if her Mom moved to The Villages. I hope you have taken the opportunity to see this Once in the World community with over 600 holes of golf and likely well over 25,000 golf carts and hundreds of miles of golf cart safe streets and paths. But more on that is the topic for another discussion in a different forum.

Thanks for the link to the other thread. It actually concentrated pretty much on the charger interface to the charging system. All of what he said on that interface with the cart, I believe to be true and so a valuable confirmation of what has been posted. The schematic diagram of the charger was a lot neater than the one I drew from inspecting my Powerglide though.

And back to Oxfordlawn. You clever devil! Of course there is more to the story. And it is a fairly long one on which I have tons of data that I believe we will find interesting. I will share all this with everyone, but since I have a fully operational cart that is serving as a test bed, I really want to get the role the OBC plays as clearly defined as possible, as it will have a strong bearing on interpreting what is to come.

Cheers....
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Oxfordlawn: You are likely only a 10 min WOT drive to my place in The Villages - if they allowed us to use Fl CR466!
Im closer than you think Doc. Im a frequent (almost daily) cart driver in your Villages.....and heck I may even mow your neighbors lawn
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2001 ds, club cart obc, on board computer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car