lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: How does 48V 2001 Club Cart OBC function?

from 1995 until 2001 i think they upgraded the OBC ( worked the bugs out ) like 4 times........95 thur 97 had OBC issues so they uprraded them in 98 and i beleive again in 2000 or 2001 and than one more time after that.........part of the upgrade in 95 thur 97 was the dash battery light they went from red to orange and wired it a bit differently so that if you had the club car tool you could read the dianostic code right from the battery light which couldn,t be done with the red dash light.......you had to have the tool under the cart at a 45 degree angle aimed perfectly at that round spot on the OBC it was almost impossible but it could be done, they also added into the kit a new grey wire for the back of the charge receptical.......seemed the old one was prone to fail........ now with the orange light you can just put the tool ( a new tool ) right over the dash light and get your readings.......what other upgrades they did i can,t answer but i do know that starting in 98 when the OBC goes bad sometimes the cart will still run and charge however charger won,t shut off and it fries your batteries .......great upgrade huh.................i quit trying to figure them out because as soon as you think your on to something your not.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

I’m good with the explanation from Autoslot of how the OBC works and I’m also good knowing that unless I plan on removing mine and going to a different charger with its own OBC built in so to speak, there is nothing else left to worry about, especially if it really can’t be rebuilt. So I think I’ll be out on any more discussions, (no milk and cookies needed at least for me during story time in the future.)

One more thing… you can't bypass the negative lead going through the OBC nor can you change the direction of the lead by mistake… it won’t work.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey Doc I can't imagine the story being any longer than your prev. posts.

One of the club car techs told me that the obc has 4 main functions, I wish I had wrote them down because I can't remember them all. Obviously controlling the charger, preventing the cart from moving while charger connected, it also records the miles on the cart and other similar details.

He showed me the diagnostics in the manual. But there is nothing on the schematics of the inside portions.

I would recomend you get the m&s manual, there may be a supplement for the electrical system, I know there is for my 04. This will tell you the functions of the obc.

I havn't bothered to get the supplement yet because I may be doing some changes that will render it of little use.
Jim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
One more thing… you can't bypass the negative lead going through the OBC nor can you change the direction of the lead by mistake… it won’t work.
scuba if your refering to the cable that passes thru the obc it is non directional.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C View Post
scuba if your refering to the cable that passes thru the obc it is non directional.
Jim, here is a thread showing otherwise... see what you think

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...rection-2.html
Old 05-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Jim, here is a thread showing otherwise... see what you think

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...rection-2.html
O.K. it was wired backwards (controller to OBC to Bat) In that case I agree.
I thought you ment merely swappin ends with the wire.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
DrBob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C View Post
O.K. it was wired backwards (controller to OBC to Bat) In that case I agree.
I thought you ment merely swappin ends with the wire.
OK. I was not buying that merely reversing the wire in the hole in the OBC would have any effect either. And I had a tough time figuring out what else could have been going on. In my 2001 CC, with the OBC mounted on the rear wall under the seat, it is pretty much impossible to connect the wire coming out the hole on the back side to the Battery Pack B- and the front end to the controller B-. But perhaps in other cars or custom configurations, that would be possible.

Can anyone post the section in the Club Maintenance and Service Manual pertaining to the OBC for 2001 +- a couple of years?
DrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #18
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob
OK. I was not buying that merely reversing the wire in the hole in the OBC would have any effect either.
I've attached 2 simple pictures showing that the OBC is directional. The A & B represent the A side of the OBC and the B side of the OBC. The pictures represent flipping the OBC for these examples. You can only wire from the battery, through the OBC and then to the controller. The only variance can be which side of the OBC is towards the battery and which side is towards the controller, hence directional. Since the OBC can ONLY be in the middle of either scenario it is patently obvious the OBC is directional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Direction A to B.jpg (23.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Direction B to A.jpg (23.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 05-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #19
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

It has to do with the fact that DC is directional in flow.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #20
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Heck, Im still wonderin why the Doc has such an interest in the internals of an OBC that cant be repaired anyway. I dont really understand how my DVD player/recorder does all that and with the speed it does, I mean come on, the color, HD clarity, sound , surround sound stereo all from a little itty bity laser beam.....but I accept that.

WHATS THE MOTIVE HERE DOC ?!?!?!
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2001 ds, club cart obc, on board computer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car