lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
puzomatc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default help, gas not flowing to carb 81 marathon

81 2 cycle with an engine mounted fuel pump. installed a new fuel pump today and still no fuel moving from the tank (rear mounted) to the carburetor (i can see the lack of fuel in the filter). I pulled the bowl off the carb and it was dry. i checked all the lines and even used a tire pump to check the line going from the tank to the filter and the tank itself. fuel flies out of the line with a bike pump!

tank removed and cleaned about 3 fill ups ago. new fuel filter with clean tank. new lines with clean tank.
Carb was rebuilt about three fill ups ago too. Its ran like a champ for a while now.

any ideas?
please help, i'm going through cart withdrawls

oh, and if anyone knows where to get an 8" gas gauge. its not sold anymore. some ez-go scam i'm sure.
puzomatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: help, gas not flowing to carb 81 marathon

oh, and if anyone knows where to get an 8" gas gauge. its not sold anymore. some ez-go scam i'm sure.

They are simple things, buy a 10 or 12 inch one and cut it down bend some kinks in the arm to get the throw you need and save some buks.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

is the port on the engine clear of obstruction. how is compression and crank seals? are you sure the diaphragm in the new pump did not come defective
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
DEWDIGGLER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

unhook the line at the bottom of the filter then at the carb, fill the line with gas and turn over the motor and see if it squirts out at the end.
if so its not the pump.

i had the similar problem and it turned out i had a small clog in the fuel line inside the tank.

good luck , dew

also, keep the gas cap tight and your filter will stay full ( dont over vent)
DEWDIGGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
puzomatc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
is the port on the engine clear of obstruction. how is compression and crank seals? are you sure the diaphragm in the new pump did not come defective
compression is normal, 100 to 110. seals are good. i didn't check the diaphragm on the new pump because its new. the cart was a champ until last week when it died last week on the road outside my house.

i thought it was the plug. i checked the spark and it was fine.

Going from fuel pump to engine is a 1/4 plastic plate, i don't know why that is there. the hole leading from the engine to the fuel pump was clear, empty and shiny.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
puzomatc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWDIGGLER View Post
unhook the line at the bottom of the filter then at the carb, fill the line with gas and turn over the motor and see if it squirts out at the end.
if so its not the pump.

i had the similar problem and it turned out i had a small clog in the fuel line inside the tank.

good luck , dew

also, keep the gas cap tight and your filter will stay full ( dont over vent)
so this afternoon i'll just fill up a line going from a funnel to the carb. and see if it fills the bowl. then i'll fill up a line going to the pump and see if it draws from it.

how does that engine mounted pump work? is there an engine pressure thing that pumps the diaphragm or is there a piece of metal that does it?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
ck4golf
Not Yet Wild

check to be sure the gasket between the engine and the pump is not blocking the port.

comes from experience!!
ck4golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

the pump operates by pulses of crankcase pressure. if there is a hole in the diaphragm, gas can seep out into the crankcase. The plastic thing is a spacer. with the fuel line disconnected from the carb, if you crank over the engine fuel should burble out. If not, you backtrack from there. If so then its a carb issue.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Glenn70
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have had the same problems with my cart...bought a new crab and still ..would run a while and the stop...clean carb and run again...I think i found my problem..might want to check yours too ....the intake hose from carb to filter had holes in it...was sucking dirt into carb..make sure everything is sealed and tight.
Glenn70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
puzomatc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
the pump operates by pulses of crankcase pressure. if there is a hole in the diaphragm, gas can seep out into the crankcase. The plastic thing is a spacer. with the fuel line disconnected from the carb, if you crank over the engine fuel should burble out. If not, you backtrack from there. If so then its a carb issue.
yep, worked things through. gas pumped from the filter/tank and through the pump. gas pumped into the carb but that was it. the gas wouldn't draw from the tank/filter anymore because the line between the pump and the carb was full of gas. the carb has a piece of something in it. on the way to the store to buy a thin walled socket to take out the bolt the needle valve sits in.

mentally my hands are clapping like a 2 year old who pottied for the first time because i figured the fuel thing out.

any ideas on what to clean the passage way out with?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO