lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: What EZ GO do I have?

number and axle looks like an 85. If it's an 85 its a resistor cart. 3x3 batteries and coils in the middle. what's in side or under the seat :-)
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
apalmer
Not Yet Wild

370055 That's pretty good. I post a picture of the plate but I don't look at the picture instead I write the numbers my aging eyes read off the plate.

Thanks. The sn plate is located on the passenger side of the steering column bump, i.e., against the passenger's left calf. BTW where do you guys check these numbers? I looked on the EZGO website but didn't see anything.

I have access to used 12 volt UPS batteries which contain a lot of lead so I figured I would have something to play with at a low investment. The batteries in it were (6) T105s but they had died, frozen, and split open a long time ago hence the battery compartment is an obstructed view of the ground from the effect of acid and rust. I hooked up the (3) 12 volt batteries and get 36+ on my voltmeter but I get no action, no clicks , no smoke, no nothing. I am doing continuity testing and so far so good far that but so far still no action.

All the electrical components visually look okay except behind the battery compartment but before the rear axle is a place where a bunch of heavier wires/cables come together and attach to some kind of coil which is really deteriorated.

I have attached a photo taken from above the passenger's rear quarter panel looking down towards the driver's side. The perforated angle iron is what's left of the back side of a homemade battery holder. The bottom of the photo shows the top of the differential(?) with the motor to its right. The coil I am talking about is at the middle left.

What is it?

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart coil part bright_sm.jpg (39.9 KB, 15 views)
apalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The part in question is your resistor coil. That is how speed is regulated on this old cart.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
rib33024

Look here it shows you how to find the year and where to look, it's on the shopezgo web site

http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
apalmer
Not Yet Wild

According to the location of the serial no. plate I guess its a 85 marathon as called by macdoc1. Also there is an "85" written on the top of the differential. The bottom of the number can be seen in the resistor photo.

I'll have to get this up on a lift to check out the resistor (and chassis) from below. From the sound of it a kinda bad resistor would affect speed control and a really bad one like mine would prevent anything from working.

Time to search on "marathon resistor".

Thanks for all the help. Does anyone want to venture an opinion as to whether I should proceed with this project or cut my loses now? Are things like used/rebuilt resistors available or not a good idea?

The accelerator switch looks good mechanically but its close to flapping in the wind regarding its mounting to the cart.
apalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO