lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Why steel instead of aluminum?

Just wondering why EZGO has not yet come out with an aluminum chassis on their carts? Instead, going with steel. They finally went to the 48volt system but feel that they left out the aluminum chassis. Any thoughts?
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
custom carts
THE CUSTOM KID

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Why steel instead of aluminum?

I like steel better it can rust buy you can cut out re weld new piece and like new aluminum and the other hand if you bend it and try to strighten out know you have a soft spot there this is just my two cents
custom carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Anybody who has been around both carts for some time will tell you that the aluminum frames are subject to stress cracking. Any 10yr old CC is subject the weld failure. Remove the body, check for yourself, repair by certified mig or tig welder as needed. If you have a steel frame cart ignore this post and continue to drive for 20 more years
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
custom carts
THE CUSTOM KID

E-Z-GO

Ther it is confirmed that is true there will be streess crack in a lot of places
custom carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just asking cause noticed some rust issues in RV park with steel frames. This park is near the ocean. Because of this decided to go with CC. I will keep an eye out for the stress cracks but as of now hav'nt found any.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

google oxidation .... it is what alumininum does to break down. Go down to the water and look at the aluminum on the old boats ~ it is equivalent to rust... no metal is perfect.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Aluminum does corrode when exposed to the air (oxygen) over time but forms a layer of oxidation. Its called aluminum oxide. It a very hard metal that protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Its basically the same color and kind of difficult to notice. I agree on the welding. A poor weld will cause to crack but when done correctly will not have a problem much like on boat t-tops and very old planes which have proven to holdup over the years.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I disagree.
Old planes have come apart due to stress cracks. An aircraft's lifespan is measured not in years but in pressurization cycles. Each time an aircraft is pressurized during flight, its fuselage and wings are stressed. Both are made of large, aluminum parts connected with fasteners and rivets, and over time, cracks develop around the fastener holes due to metal fatigue. In golf cart frames we see these stress cracks at the major frame welds.

Trailers with Aluminum frames also exhibit this stress cracking. Golf Carts are not spared. There are pluses & minuses. Enjoy the Club Car & check your battery frames often.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Also keep in mind ,that if you have something that is bent,(bumper,frame-rail,etc..),You can pretty much forget a simple straightening as with steel,Aluminum is kinda one-way when it comes to bends.It will bend nicely,but usually tears/splits when you try to move it back.The Fab-Shop i worked in we always said "Aluminum is great to work with if you are cutting it and carrying it to a job,then it can really suck after that!"Just adding my thoughts.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

[QUOTE=scottyb;485181]I disagree.
Old planes have come apart due to stress cracks. An aircraft's lifespan is measured not in years but in pressurization cycles. Each time an aircraft is pressurized during flight, its fuselage and wings are stressed. Both are made of large, aluminum parts connected with fasteners and rivets, and over time, cracks develop around the fastener holes due to metal fatigue. In golf cart frames we see these stress cracks at the major frame welds.

Trailers with Aluminum frames also exhibit this stress cracking. Golf Carts are not spared. There are pluses & minuses. Enjoy the Club Car & check your battery frames often.[/QUOTE

I partly agree with you. What part did you disagree with me? The part that when metal oxidizes it forms a much needed protective barrier which keeps aluminum from further corroding? or that it's proven to hold up over the years?

Scotty, on that same article that you received your information from in regards to "An aircraft's lifespan is measured not in years but in pressurization cycles". http://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-k...ifecycles.html , read further down and you will learn that "There are 747s out there that are 25 or 30 years old,".

Sure, a plane stresses over the years due to cyclical pressurization and enormous loads of stress while in the air and upon landing. But unless our carts grow wings they won't have the need to be pressurized.

In terms of aluminum and steel trailers (which Ive had the experience of owning both), there are reasons that steel trailers are a thing of the past regardless of the rising cost of aluminum. I've never experienced a crack in my 08 aluminum boat trailer, however, I have experienced the steel parts on it such as ubolts, springs, axles, etc. deteriorating these couple of past years. So in my opinion aluminum outlasted the steel.

Thanks for the recommendation on checking up on my battery frames which we all should do, however, I do recommend the pro-fill system for watering batteries as I've learned first hand that this is an excellent way to keep batteries and frame corrosion-free since their is no over spillage that occurs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO